• Register Today It's free!

changing tranny fluid

Ryde _Or_Die

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 4x4
Ok first off I have a 95 4.0 4x4 auto and am going to change the tranny fluid and filter. Now is there any certain brand filter I should go for? I am going to put royal purple or redline ATF in already. Also, how many quarts do I need? 4? Should I change any other fluids while I'm at it? I've never changed anything besides oil/filter since I've owned it. Any special things I need to know? Thanks alot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After you drop the pan and change the filter ( about 4 quarts ). it would be wise to do a complete flush ( a very easy 15-20 min procedure ) to ensure that you have gotten almost all of the old fluid out.

Goof luck ....

Putting synthetic fluid in after a filter change will have limited benefit because only four quarts come out with the pan. I think that's only about 1/3 the total.

I suggest a filter change, replacing the four quarts with regular fluid, then using one of the flush techniques described here to completely changeover from regular to synthetic.

msmith65 said:
Putting synthetic fluid in after a filter change will have limited benefit because only four quarts come out with the pan. I think that's only about 1/3 the total.

I suggest a filter change, replacing the four quarts with regular fluid, then using one of the flush techniques described here to completely changeover from regular to synthetic.

Exactly; thats what I was attempting to say, sorry. Thanks for clarifying that.

Well that sucks, I'll try searching for how to flush completely but how many quarts would I need then?

Ryde _Or_Die said:
Well that sucks, I'll try searching for how to flush completely but how many quarts would I need then?

The folllowing is how I do it:

I disconnected the "to transmission" hose from my remote filter housing. I plugged and clamped the disconnected line and added and hose clamped a 6 ft length of 3/8? line to the housing. The other end went into a calibrated water jug ( 1 gal size ).

The the truck run at idle while 1 quart is pumped out. Stop the truck andd add back 1 quart of new ATF.

I used 15 quarts of Amsoil ATF.

After the flush/fill was completed, I added a new K & N filter to the housing and reattached the hoses.

The procedure took my son and I about 15 minutes to complete. There was no mess since we were well prepared for the flush; nary a drop was spilled.

If you don't have a remote filter, just do the procedure using the ATF lines from the radiator.

Good luck .....

It is wise to put a drain plug in for future convenience.

And use the Fram microfelt filter.

Damn so 15 quarts of ATF? Thats a hell of a lot of money for the good stuff. What should I go for then instead of spending like $150 on fluids? And if fram the best their is?

In this case, the Fram microfelt IS the best there is. It is the gold standard, OEM and a terrific filter. Others often just use fine screen.

I'm not a purist on ATF.... it's good, but if you change regularly... anyway let's not get THAT argument going....you COULD use non syn...

So it doesn't matter what I really use as far as ATF if I don't change out the full 12-15 quarts, right?

Well at least it needs to be the right type of non-syn. Mercon III or Mercon V... check your owner's manual.

Glacier991 said:
Well at least it needs to be the right type of non-syn. Mercon III or Mercon V... check your owner's manual.

Yeah I know that, just saying its not worth getting the more expensive stuff unless I change it completely?

aldive said:
The folllowing is how I do it:

I disconnected the "to transmission" hose from my remote filter housing. I plugged and clamped the disconnected line and added and hose clamped a 6 ft length of 3/8? line to the housing. The other end went into a calibrated water jug ( 1 gal size ).

The the truck run at idle while 1 quart is pumped out. Stop the truck andd add back 1 quart of new ATF....

Been meaning to ask you this for a while:

Why not adapt a fitting to the other end of the cooler line you've interrupted, and let gravity feed the fresh fluid in there?

This would require some sort of tank, or jug, full of fluid above the level of the transmission.

msmith65 said:
Been meaning to ask you this for a while:

Why not adapt a fitting to the other end of the cooler line you've interrupted, and let gravity feed the fresh fluid in there?

This would require some sort of tank, or jug, full of fluid above the level of the transmission.

The procedure I use is so simple and you don't change tranny fluid very often, I personally see no need to change anything.

Thanks for the input though.

Back