Changing Transmission Fluid!! Or not | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Transmission Fluid!! Or not

SlaminFool

Reaction score
City, State
North Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer 2WD
I have a 1992 automatic explorer 4d. It has 191,000 miles on it and it has never had the transmission fluid changed. I've heard that it would be bad to change or flush it. My dad has a 1999 ford ranger that he got the transmission fluid flushed and his works fine. He had about 110,000 miles on his. So my question is: should i change it, have it flushed or leave it alone. I searched on the forums but the information was confusing.
P.S. I also have and inside light problem, No matter what i do the inside dome lights in the middle and in the back stay on. Even while the car is on. Anyone have any idea how to fix that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The myth on not changing fluid is that the metal particles in an old transmission need to stay in the fluid in order to keep enough friction for it to work.

It's not true, especially in modern transmissions. Change the fluid. Even just generic Dex/Merc ATF is fine, or you can spend some money for a name brand or synthetic.

DON'T use Dexron VI, Mercon V, or other stuff, the best stuff to get is the old DexronIII/Mercon, now sold as Dex/Merc. I like the stuff from Castrol, you can get it at Walmart or Advance Auto Parts in quarts and gallons, but any Dex/Merc will do.

I think it's better to change the fluid yourself. Drain it, refill. Then drain and refill a few weeks later. I don't think the flushes are worth the price, nor the risk. Flushes can ruin a transmission in short order if they're done wrong. I'd say the money is better spent on 2-3 gallons of new ATF and the time better spent draining and refilling it yourself.

You might also consider pulling the transmission pan with the fluid drained, and changing out the trans filter. Maybe do that the second time in case the new fluid cleans up a lot of gunk.

The dome light staying on might be the headlight switch. If you twist the switch, it turns on the dome lights. Twist it the other direction to turn them off.

Ok, ill change it this weekend. The headlight switch has no effect what so ever. So i think it is a wiring problem. It didnt used to stay on, just came on one day and never went off.

Check the switch in your tailgate, drivers side. I had same problem the rubber bushing broke off on the post that the switch engages with to turn off light when you close the back. I just wrapped the post with black electrical tape. Keep opening and closing back adding enough tape till light goes out.
I also believe the auto parts stores have new bushings you could buy.

Any good ideas to add trans drain plug to pan?

Does the gasket need replaced after dropping pan or will it still seal ?

You should either buy a new gasket, or use some Permatex gasket maker. Re-using old gaskets is a good way to wind up with a leak.

Also, Advance Auto Parts has Castrol Dex/Merc ATF on sale for $14.99/gallon, making it less than the generic ATF. Pretty good time to buy some for a fluid change.

P.S. I also have and inside light problem, No matter what i do the inside dome lights in the middle and in the back stay on. Even while the car is on. Anyone have any idea how to fix that?

Also the 4 door switches "Close" or make contact when the door is open.
Check the switches. A shorted switch will keep the lights on. Although I do remember some timer that will cause the lights to go out if the door or maybe the rear hatch is left open for a certian period of time. I'll have to check that.

I checked the time out info and it is the Limited that has the 45 minute time out function.

Back