Charge Air Cooler weep hole | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Charge Air Cooler weep hole

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer sport
Anyone drill their CAC if so what is the simplest way to access it. I pulled the grill yesterday and could not get where I wanted to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

CAC??

Peter

Why would you want to create a leak in a sealed system, and lose boost?

Why would you want to create a leak in a sealed system, and lose boost?

The F150 Ecoboost forums recommend drilling a small hole in the bottom of the intercooler to allow condensation to escape. Apparently there is an issue with the system being "too" sealed and water can build up.

I have not seen anyone do this with an Explorer. FWIW, the F150 uses different turbos and intercooler/piping than the Explorer/SHO.

Best way to check if your vehicle is affected by this is to dismount the intercooler and see if anything drips out...

Yes, intercooler is a little more buried on our vehicles. So that is why I was asking

We owned an '13 F150 Ecoboost and yes I did the weep hole and rusty water came out.

We owned an '13 F150 Ecoboost and yes I did the weep hole and rusty water came out.
Radiators and intercoolers are aluminum, so the rust you speak of must be mistaken for oil mixed in with water.

Radiators and intercoolers are aluminum, so the rust you speak of must be mistaken for oil mixed in with water.
I agree, the details! I also did the vent to air free mod and really enjoyed the blow off sound. It probably isn't recommend but I traded it at 100,007 miles...the computer fried! $1700 and the air and radio never worked again. The Dealership didn't want to work on it cause it was 7 miles over the warranty (we bought it certified with 17k miles). I did enjoy it very much, easy to work on expensive to keep up with. We have a 2014 explorer now 3.5l n/a.

Either way, the hole + gravity + pressure allows it to escape. I understand creating a hole in an air tight system goes against the laws of physics. Installing a catch can is probably a more logical solution. The oil blowby and crankcase pressure is much higher in any boosted application.

Back