Charged ac fail now it doesn't work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Charged ac fail now it doesn't work

Brownpsu78

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I charged my ac up.
And now it blows warm air only.

It was working before I charged it.
Is it possible that I decharged it by accident?

I was doing multiple cars at once.
The bottle did get cold during the charging process.

I can hear the ac click on and off.
What should the low side psi be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have over-charged it, which would cause the same effect you are describing. Hard to say what the psi should be, it varies by ambient air temp at the time you are checking, I think it should be anywhere between 30-50psi in the summer.

Okay so over charging would also cause it to blow warm air?
Will running it hurt the situation or help the situation?

What would my options be if my system is overcharged?

If over-charged, running the system will not 'fix' it, it could actually do harm, as an over-charged system will put strain on all the components which could cause a leak or compressor failure, etc.

The 'clicking' your hearing is the compressor engaging, you will see it turning when it is engaged. If it cycles on and off quickly, that could be a sign of under or over-charging. That's the cheapest and easiest problem to rectify when it comes to the AC system.

Many chain repair places (like Meineke, etc) often offer a free AC system diagnostic, you could do that or find a way to safely and legally get the system to the correct psi range.

Buy the can that comes with the cheapy gauge. 2000rpm should be at 28psi.

Okay so I got the gauge on the low side, it rises past 50psi to red, then the ac clicks drops all the way down and rises quickly until it clicks again.

Sounds over-charged. With the car running and the AC on high, I would slowly remove pressure until it was around 40 psi. If that was the issue the compressor should stay on, and the clicking should stop.

I'll give it a go.

Back