Charging Light when reving

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
So I got back today from getting my fuel filter changed(worth the $10 getting it done by someone) and I was sitting in the driveway reving it a little to hear the exhaust :D And I noticed that when you floor it to rev, the charging system light will come on. Next time, I looked at the volt-o-meter and it jumps up 3/4 of the way. Is this normal or do I have battery or alternator problems?

I'm hoping its nothing serious, I'm leaving Thursday and it needs to pull me threw the 5 hour drive to Philly and back. Thanks in advanced!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The volt meter shouldn't jump. If the charge light is on then most likely the battery isn't being charged and you will be driving somewhere far from home and the car will die on you.

Would that light also come on when its overcharging the battery?

I don't think it would come on. It's hard for me to say what the problem is. Either get it checked out or check with a voltmeter what the voltage is the alt is putting out. Maybe it is just a bad battery. If you can, get a complete charging system/battery test performed.

we have a battery and charging system tester here, and i checked it earlier and its fine. My dad just thinks its the voltage regulator. Which makes sense. The thing is, its only when there is no load on the motor and its rapidly changing RPM. So it should be fine since i'll just be cruzing around and nothing wild. But when I get back, I'm definetly gonna look into it more!

have the alternator checked out. if the regulator is out, then it wont limit the output to 14.4 volts. if the regulator is out, the alternator can put out very high voltages and cause battery damage at high rpms.

Use the voltmeter to check the output sum total of the alt and regulator. Turn he lights on (engine NOT running) for 10 minutes, start the engine, rev to 2500RPM at check the voltage. Should be 14.4at the battery. If it is low, regulator needs to be replaced, easy to do. If the voltage varies and bounces around the brushes inside may be worn and only making partial contact. The wife's EXP wore out the brushes and in a very short time arcing damaged the slip rings beyond any cut and true operation that could salvage the rotor assembly. Rebuilt one cost me $225. Good luck.

WDP

I'm thinking it was just the battery charging. I had just had the fuel filter replaced and that was a couple minutes of cranking to get it started since there was no fuel. And since it was a very short drive to my house I don't think it had enough time to charge back up.

But the 'rents are giving me the credit card for the trip so I should be ok (crossing fingers).

Back