"Charging System Service Now" warning on Dash | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Charging System Service Now" warning on Dash

I just had that warning message pop up today when starting up after going to the local grocery store. No other warnings/lights. Not going to worry about it unless it happens more frequently.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same "Charging System Service NOW" message, with the battery icon, just like the OP shared. It would come on and go off unpredictably (both at idle and driving). The only code was for low voltage ( through generic reader, anyway, the dealer didn't mention if they saw others).

The dealer tested the alternator and battery, determined the battery didn't do well enough, and so they replaced the battery and sent me on my way. That sounded suspicious to me... I've never heard of a failing battery dropping the voltage significantly at running speed (besides, the vehicle started up fine). Of course that didn't fix it... two days later the failure is back. And it got so low that the infotainment system shut itself down while driving on one occasion.

So they did more involved troubleshooting, and found they could trigger the light by wiggling a fuse block or two. So they replaced two fuse blocks, and I got my ST back today. Sitting in bed now; I'll have to grab the work order tomorrow to share better details on the fix. Hopefully this does it. At least I got a free extra 2.5 years on my battery, and free miles on the loaner, and a free donought or two ;-)

Since my post above, I've not had any further warning messages. Just that one.

Peter

Here is the writeup.
PXL_20220527_183130032.jpg

UPDATE - Ford scanned the truck for DTC codes. Codes were P065B and P0625. Replaced alternator and rescanned vehicle P065B cleared but P0625 did not clear. Battery charge light still on. checked wiring found open on gen mon line repaired circuit and retested battery charging light off and no code present. A word to the wise with this malfunction if you take it in to have it fixed, have them scan the vehicle first and look at the wiring harness first and tell them to look make sure the gen mon and gen sense wiring going the pcm has been load tested with a circuit tester not just ohm it it. After digging around the internet this seems to be a common problem on these vehicles. Hopefully this problem will not return.
My wife’s 2020 Platinum is showing the “Charging System Service Now” message periodically. The box is cleared with “OK” and the battery icon stays lit for a few minutes and then usually disappears on its own - but always with a restart. This has happened repeatedly while driving. Just wondering if the issue has returned to your Explorer after the fix described or did that take care of it.
Thanks!
David

My wife’s 2020 Platinum is showing the “Charging System Service Now” message periodically. The box is cleared with “OK” and the battery icon stays lit for a few minutes and then usually disappears on its own - but always with a restart. This has happened repeatedly while driving. Just wondering if the issue has returned to your Explorer after the fix described or did that take care of it.
Thanks!
David
Welcome to the Forum David. :wave:
I don't know if the member you quoted is still following the thread. He was last seen here on April 21st.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum David. :wave:
I don't know if the member you quoted is still following the thread. He was last seen here on April 21st.

Peter
Thanks, Peter!
I didn't notice that before I replied to that message.
Anyone else had this issue and resolved it once and for all? If so, what was the root cause and solution?
Thanks again!
David

So my wife just got this today on her lunch break. Left work to run to Target, got the message when she arrived back at work.

33902.jpeg

Anyone else dealing with this error message? I have a 2020 ST, The red "Charging System Service Now" error has been popping up sporadically with the red battery icon. I had the battery replaced and the alternator was tested. Trying to see if anyone else has been dealing with this, scheduling an appointment with the dealer today.

A417118D-3940-4A13-BDFB-C55D203C1024.jpeg

Following. Had this intermittently on my Mercedes prior to selling it. Forum consensus at the time was main battery, alternator, or aux battery (auto-stop capacitor IIRC).
Traded it off before figuring it out. Pretty sure it was the aux battery though, as a trickle charger overnight had no effect on the error/warning.

Our Expedition takes a longer drive before the auto-stop enables & the auto-stop status usually says disabled due to charging.
Figuring a new battery may be not too far off on that one.

happened once a few months ago and hasn't happened since so haven't done anything about it.

I spoke to the "service advisor" at the dealer, they setup the appointment and said they will also check the aux battery, I had no idea these cars had "aux batteries" and apparently it's located by the factory subwoofer. Will keep you posted.

I spoke to the "service advisor" at the dealer, they setup the appointment and said they will also check the aux battery, I had no idea these cars had "aux batteries" and apparently it's located by the factory subwoofer. Will keep you posted.
Good to know, wasn't aware that there was a secondary battery either.
I don't think my F150 had 2, just a big AGM battery up front.
Keep us posted on the outcome

Anyone else dealing with this error message? I have a 2020 ST, The red "Charging System Service Now" error has been popping up sporadically with the red battery icon. I had the battery replaced and the alternator was tested. Trying to see if anyone else has been dealing with this, scheduling an appointment with the dealer today.

View attachment 438715
Your thread was merged with this one on the same issue and found with the Search feature.

Peter

I got my ST back from the dealer today, apparently the genius service advisor I spoke to on the phone had no idea what he was talking about, there is no aux battery in the rear of that 2020 ST. The techs did their thing and traced the error code to a faulty Active Grill Shutter Wiring Harness, they said the connectors were corroded and the harness needed to be replaced, talk about cutting it close, my mileage was 34,985 and as you know the factory warranty ends at 36,000. I will upload a picture of the service report later today.

0C48EB77-53F6-472F-9E68-B69EB807E26C.jpeg

I got my ST back from the dealer today, apparently the genius service advisor I spoke to on the phone had no idea what he was talking about, there is no aux battery in the rear of that 2020 ST...........................................
Not surprised at all to hear that. It's always best to speak to a tech or service manager.

Peter

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This warning light keeps coming back. First time I saw it, the battery was dead the next day. I also got a "Deep Sleep Mode Activated" message from FordPass the day prior as well. Charged the battery & dropped it off at the dealership.

View attachment 317921

1st time @ the dealership: New Battery.
2nd time @ the dealership: Software Update needed on the BCM.
3rd time @ the dealership: They found a short on the grounding wire (on the passenger's side).
4th time it happened: Connected the ST to my phone's hotspot, ran a software update. Warning Message went away & the battery icon on the right side of the fuel gauge disappeared too. Did not need to restart the vehicle either.

Question: Anyone running into this problem too? I need a real fix.
Did you ever find a solution? We are having almost identical problem with 2020 Ford Transit. 1st Time - new battery, 2nd time Software, 3rd time accused us of causing because we attached a grounding wire that they said was in the wrong place. We fixed but no help. They also destroyed our battery, vehicle now has to be jumped each time we turn it on! All "fixes" done at separate Ford Dealership. Hope you solved the issue and can share it!

Back