• Register Today It's free!

Charging warning light

Glenn Comeau

Reaction score
City, State
Preston,Ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 xlt
2012 xlt,warning light came on.I went to AutoZone had them check alternator,it is good,the battery is bad do I replaced the battery,the warning light will not go off.is there something I have to do to reset the warning light? Ive only driven a few miles but it seems to run and start fine.After I start it,The light comes on after 30seconds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to reset the BMS (Battery Management). If you don't have a diagnostic tool such as forscan, autozone should have one.

2012 xlt,warning light came on.I went to AutoZone had them check alternator,it is good,the battery is bad do I replaced the battery,the warning light will not go off.is there something I have to do to reset the warning light? Ive only driven a few miles but it seems to run and start fine.After I start it,The light comes on after 30seconds.
Welcome to the Forum Glenn.:wave:

Peter

You need to pull the code.

System voltage could be severely low, or the alternator may not be charging, or the alternator is charging but cannot be commanded by the PCM (and thus it operates in a default mode.)

A BMS reset is highly recommended as the vehicle could be perceiving a low state of charge based on the level of the same when the battery was pulled, but this would be manifesting itself as a load shed message, not a "check charging system" message.

I need to buy the reset tool ,I've been asking some friends if they have it,no luck so far.I tried the 8 hour sleep time,to reset it,that didn't work.

I need to buy the reset tool ,I've been asking some friends if they have it,no luck so far.I tried the 8 hour sleep time,to reset it,that didn't work.
Why not go back to Autozone and ask them to finish the 'installation'?

Peter

The BMS isn't at fault here. No need to worry about the reset just yet--the alternator demands closer examination along with reading of the PID set in the BCM (maybe even PCM) that set the light.

Back