Chasing a coolant leak | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chasing a coolant leak

Good deal. I'll look around, but I'm leaning towards putting it off. Yeah, this thing isn't in bad shape at all. Just a few things here and there, but any old vehicle has those. I've had fun working on it... kinda.

For example, went to put the thermostat housing onto the lower intake manifold and just learned the lower hole is stripped. Little headaches. Heh.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ended up having to helicoil all three bolt holes for the thermostat housing. Those things were all mangled. But with that done the housing tightened up like a charm.

And the lower intake manifold is back on:

DSC02184_zpsb435d60a.jpg

The gaskets were great, no problems with slipping. I layed a 1/4" bead of RTV all along the front and rear surface, with an extra dab in the corners just because. I finally got to use my new torque wrench and tightened everything down.

Hopefully the injectors will arrive tomorrow evening, then I'll wrap it all up over the weekend. Woohoo!

I ended up having to helicoil all three bolt holes for the thermostat housing. Those things were all mangled. But with that done the housing tightened up like a charm.

And the lower intake manifold is back on:

DSC02184_zpsb435d60a.jpg

The gaskets were great, no problems with slipping. I layed a 1/4" bead of RTV all along the front and rear surface, with an extra dab in the corners just because. I finally got to use my new torque wrench and tightened everything down.

Hopefully the injectors will arrive tomorrow evening, then I'll wrap it all up over the weekend. Woohoo!

I would recheck them after a some mileage. Looks good tho and glad the coils worked good..sorry man I forgot to post a link for the injectors, guess you found a set? Obviously lol

Hey JD,

Yeah I found some. I tried to find your recommended seller, but couldn't. Another place was recommended, Fuel Injector Physician, or something like that.

Is there a secret to these valve cover gaskets? I went to put them on and had to abort. The top four holes line up fine, but the bottom holes are being a pain. I can get the bottom corners, but the middle span has just enough flex to it the holes are just a smidge off (high). The bolts won't go in for nothing. If I get the middles in, then the corners flex just a smidge and prevents the bolts from going in.

I put the gasket and bolts on the cover then installed, but that gave me some fits as well. By then I was out of patience, so I decided to abort, take everything off and clean everything up, take a deep breath, and see if there was a trick to it. Heh.

Shouldn't really be a trick.is the LIM sitting all the way down flush? Only thing I do is put some rtv where the LIM mets the heads in the front and back.

The LIM corners (all four) aren't flush, they are like a millimeter higher, maybe less. I think they were like that before because I kept snagging my rag on the corners while cleaning it before I took it off. Is that bad?

The LIM corners (all four) aren't flush, they are like a millimeter higher, maybe less. I think they were like that before because I kept snagging my rag on the corners while cleaning it before I took it off. Is that bad?

Not really. .that's why I put rtv there.rarely are the perfectly flush, as long as it ain't no 1/4"..lol

Ha! No, nothing major like that. Good deal. Once again, thanks for helping out.

I think I've got the gasket sorted out. I put the four top bolts and the two bottom corners in, but didn't tighten them. I was able to lift the cover, get a paper clip in under there and gently pulled the gasket a hair to line up the two remaining holes. I put the two middle bolts in, then I removed the paper clip.

I did this just as a test on the driver's side (no RTV or tightening anything down). I think I can get in there on the passenger side sufficiently to get it to work there as well. Woohoo!

Ha! No, nothing major like that. Good deal. Once again, thanks for helping out.

I think I've got the gasket sorted out. I put the four top bolts and the two bottom corners in, but didn't tighten them. I was able to lift the cover, get a paper clip in under there and gently pulled the gasket a hair to line up the two remaining holes. I put the two middle bolts in, then I removed the paper clip.

I did this just as a test on the driver's side (no RTV or tightening anything down). I think I can get in there on the passenger side sufficiently to get it to work there as well. Woohoo!

There you go.some times you gota take a step back and take a breather. .lol and no problem man, more than happy to help.god knows this forum has helped me more than I can tell!!:salute:

Oh wow... this was better than a rookie mistake. I wrestled the driver's side on, then turned to the passenger side and everything matched up. No wrestle.

I had them upside down. When they are right side up they match up fine. D'oh! I think what I did was tried them on on a table, but when I made the translation to the vehicle must have gotten them flipped... and I did it repeatedly!

I pulled the driver's side back off and a couple of the holes are a little chewed up by the bolts. I'm going to run out and buy a new set real quick. I don't want to get it all together and see a leak and be wondering if I shot myself in the foot. Heh.

Can't help but laugh at myself.

DSC02185_zps666c8371.jpg

Valve cover gaskets went on in about 30 minutes, valve covers back on, harness plugged back in at the back, cables laid out so I can make sure everything is going back correct, and same with hoses.

Only major difficulty today resulted from my attaching the thermostat housing to the LIM and installing (I was so happy). I forgot about that cable that goes down to the water pump (?), while the rest of the harness feeds under the housing tube. I once again got to play with that housing bolt that is behind the tensioner, always fun times, and that witch lived up to expectations. Heh. But things are coming together.

Hey,

In my gasket kit I have 6 black rubber gaskets that are shaped like the intake openings. They don't appear at all like what came off, I have two other gaskets that look like those, and was wondering what these 6 rubber bands were. :)

Hey,

In my gasket kit I have 6 black rubber gaskets that are shaped like the intake openings. They don't appear at all like what came off, I have two other gaskets that look like those, and was wondering what these 6 rubber bands were. :)

Have to see them.post a pic, interested in seeing them.hope its not some kind of gasket changes. :(

I think those black rubber gaskets are for the SOHC engine, not our OHV.

@ JD: Here is a picture of the kit from AutoZone (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-93xym?itemIdentifier=866090_0_0_). Not a very good picture, but the rubber gaskets are what's pictured at the top. I can get a better pic this evening if you need it.

@ malhones: Cool. The kit came with instructions only for the LIM gasket. When I didn't see anything like them already on the engine I was wondering, like JD, if it might be a new design, like the LIM gaskets were.

Hey guys,

There was no silicon on either of the gaskets I removed from the fuel rail (LIM to fuel rail; fuel rail to UIM). I just wanted to verify that both gaskets should be installed dry?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

There was no silicon on either of the gaskets I removed from the fuel rail (LIM to fuel rail; fuel rail to UIM). I just wanted to verify that both gaskets should be installed dry?

Thanks!

Yea.honestly it should already have a beed on them

Nuts. While putting the vacuum line on the throttle body I broke it. D'oh!

DSC02187_zps88f99842.jpg

Can someone tell me the name of this part? I can't seem to sort it out with the Chilton manual.

Man! I was almost there. Pretty much just had the upper radiator hose and coil left to put back on... then I break something again. Heh.

Purge valve for the charcoal canister.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks! I can find that part much cheaper online... looks like I'm waiting for another part. Heh. Just got a bit too giddy at the thought of starting it up tonight. Sigh!

Back