Chasing the p0108 code | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chasing the p0108 code

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blocked cats.
Yup just found out for sure 😊

received_361331142604921.jpeg

Hope this thread help someone else in the future. I know it was a huge headache for me trying to figure out why my truck was losing power, idling rough throwing the o2 codes. Thx everyone for replying and helping out.

I had the cats catastrophically clog on my 2002 XLT while cruising down the interstate. I swore the transmission exploded from the sounds it was making. It had no power to mover itself. I was so sure it was a transmission issue I had it towed to a local transmission shop. They diagnosed that the cats were clogged and did the repair themselves. They said is wasn't uncommon for a cat failure to be mistaken for a transmission failure in many cases which is why they were replacing quite a few of them in their shop. The cost of replacing the Y-pipe wasn't cheap. Just the pipe alone was over $800 at the time.

I had the cats catastrophically clog on my 2002 XLT while cruising down the interstate. I swore the transmission exploded from the sounds it was making. It had no power to mover itself. I was so sure it was a transmission issue I had it towed to a local transmission shop. They diagnosed that the cats were clogged and did the repair themselves. They said is wasn't uncommon for a cat failure to be mistaken for a transmission failure in many cases which is why they were replacing quite a few of them in their shop. The cost of replacing the Y-pipe wasn't cheap. Just the pipe alone was over $800 at the time.
Yeah I cut mine off took em to the scrap yard they only had about 20$ left in em. I ended up using flex pipe in place of the cats. Never knew it had that much power. Took me awhile to figure out the prob

I changed my egr valve/ map and after the change I figured where my vacuum leak is. It's coming from the part that the egr valve bolts to. It goes into a round hole in the intake just after the throttle body. There's a rubber ring gasket that is leaking. Except when I pulled it out its all dented up. I looked up a new one and it's not like that so kinda confused how it got dented. I've had a motor change a couple years back I'm thinking they put a bad one back in it idk

i also had the IAC Y joint go bad on mine, so i replaced it at the same time, but im quite sure the 4th gens dont have it...
I didn't want to take over the other post so I'm gonna ask you here. I've used 2 hole cans of carb cleaner and can't find a leak anywhere. I put the old EGR back on and no difference. If I take the air lines off the EGR it idles better. But if I hold a rev at 2000 rpm it boggs after about 3 seconds. When I'm actually driving it it boggs between gears I'm at a loss

i also had the IAC Y joint go bad on mine, so i replaced it at the same time, but im quite sure the 4th gens dont have it...
And also if I unhook my maf sensor should it change the way it runs? Because I tried that also and it changes nothing

And also if I unhook my maf sensor should it change the way it runs? Because I tried that also and it changes nothing
if you unhook maf it runs on presets. if it doesnt change that means it likely isnt bad

I didn't want to take over the other post so I'm gonna ask you here. I've used 2 hole cans of carb cleaner and can't find a leak anywhere. I put the old EGR back on and no difference. If I take the air lines off the EGR it idles better. But if I hold a rev at 2000 rpm it boggs after about 3 seconds. When I'm actually driving it it boggs between gears I'm at a loss
So you're running without cats, correct?

if you unhook maf it runs on presets. if it doesnt change that means it likely isnt bad
One time on my 07 V8 I forgot to hook the MAF back up and it started and ran fine but I got less than a mile down the road before it let me know. It definitely should run worse but it might take driving it.

Update...it ended up being the 15amp fuse to the heater circuit/o2 sensors. Changed fuse and no more rough idle or bogging. Thx all

Back