Chassis VIN on 2014 Ford Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chassis VIN on 2014 Ford Explorer?

comper

Reaction score
City, State
Stockholm
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
I failed to register my 2014 Ford Explorer Sport here in Sweden, because neither the DMV inspector or myself could find a VIN on the chassis. Does such exist?
We found two VIN locations, the plate visible in the windscreen and the sticker in the driver side door.
To register the car in Europe it also has to have the VIN somewhere on the chassis.
Anyone got an idea where it could be located?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I failed to register my 2014 Ford Explorer Sport here in Sweden, because neither the DMV inspector or myself could find a VIN on the chassis. Does such exist?
We found two VIN locations, the plate visible in the windscreen and the sticker in the driver side door.
To register the car in Europe it also has to have the VIN somewhere on the chassis.
Anyone got an idea where it could be located?

Välkommen! Talar du svenska? I'd check these places for the vin on the chassis:
Front of the engine block,
front of the car frame,
inside the driver-side doorjamb,
driver-side doorpost, or
underneath the spare tire in the trunk.

If you're DMV Inspector is referring to the "secret" VIN locations that Law Enforcement uses only the manufacturer knows and they have designates in Law Enforcement that are allowed to know. You may need to go to your local Police and speak to someone in their Auto Crime Section who will confirm for the DMV. At least thats how its done in Canada and USA.

i failed to register my 2014 ford explorer sport here in sweden, because neither the dmv inspector or myself could find a vin on the chassis. Does such exist?...
Hello comper,

I recommend contacting your local Ford Dealer. Ask to speak with the service manager. They are in the best position to assist. The VIN can be found on a metal tag affixed to the driver's side of the dashboard, closest to the windshield. The tag is visible from the outside of the vehicle. This information is in the 2014 Owner’s Manual, on page 395. You can access the manual here.

For further assistance, please contact Ford Sweden at +46 (0) 31 707 10 10 or via email at fordkund@ford.com. They will be happy to lend a hand! :)

Tricia

Välkommen! Talar du svenska? I'd check these places for the vin on the chassis:
Front of the engine block,
front of the car frame,
inside the driver-side doorjamb,
driver-side doorpost, or
underneath the spare tire in the trunk.

Tjena! Javisst, jag har flyttat precis flyttat hem till Stockholm efter några år i Montreal :)

I took another hard look at the places you mentioned without finding another VIN number on the car. So frustrating! The car passed on all other requirements.
I was told that I could etch the VIN myself to the chassis or let a repair shop do it for me.

If you're DMV Inspector is referring to the "secret" VIN locations that Law Enforcement uses only the manufacturer knows and they have designates in Law Enforcement that are allowed to know. You may need to go to your local Police and speak to someone in their Auto Crime Section who will confirm for the DMV. At least thats how its done in Canada and USA.

Unfortunately the local Police here don't have a clue on were to find a VIN on a imported car. There's a new law in Sweden (June 2014) that says that all imported cars (outside Europe) has to have a visible VIN on the chassis to be registered. And its a retroactive law forcing old imported cars already registered to get their VIN etched, to pass another inspection. Makes it easier for the insurance companies and police to find the VIN, but a lot of hassle for the rest of us ;)

I'll keep looking...

Tjena! Javisst, jag har flyttat precis flyttat hem till Stockholm efter några år i Montreal :)

I took another hard look at the places you mentioned without finding another VIN number on the car. So frustrating! The car passed on all other requirements.
I was told that I could etch the VIN myself to the chassis or let a repair shop do it for me.

Unfortunately the local Police here don't have a clue on were to find a VIN on a imported car. There's a new law in Sweden (June 2014) that says that all imported cars (outside Europe) has to have a visible VIN on the chassis to be registered. And its a retroactive law forcing old imported cars already registered to get their VIN etched, to pass another inspection. Makes it easier for the insurance companies and police to find the VIN, but a lot of hassle for the rest of us ;)

I'll keep looking...

That's awesome. I had a girlfriend from Uppsala for a while and lived there for a year or so.

I don't think it'd be in an easy to access location. I'm guessing you'd have to remove something in order to find it. Whether it be inside the wheel well behind the fenders or under the passenger compartment carpet or something. It's definitely there though.

Here's a thread of people trying to find it on their older cars and mentioning a location on it: http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,1445225

I know why they are requiring that because in North America there are issues with VIN swaps and stolen vehicles being exported overseas with a fresh VIN plate taken off a damaged vehicle at a scrap yard. Riveted VIN plates can be altered or replaced so a VIN stamp on the chassis is best source. Just hard to find when they are designed to be hidden VIN's for Law Enforcement only.

So, I finally got the car registered today... hooray!!!
I went to a body repair shop and had the VIN stamped on one of the upper shock braces/upper mounts (don't know the correct name) under the hood. That was it. Still feels kind of weird to have to stamp the VIN myself to get it registered, but that seems the only way to do it.

Back