Cheap 4.0 OHV Lifters! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cheap 4.0 OHV Lifters!

I was worried about passing Smog mainly, but also due to the fact that the Explorer is more offroad built, and I'd like to help it pull a trailer a bit better/ go for a little more economy with the torque boost from the 410.

Cool deal,you be pretty happy with that setup;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm trying to Contact Mizpah Precision Manufacturing - The company apparently does nothing but rebuild lifters and they have a $7 a piece charge for our ht-2244 lifters. Everything I've seen searching about them seems to be positive.

Sounds like a winner. If you go with them let us know how it goes.

This would be a much better option for those doing engine rebuilds than cheapo lifters.

Mizpah Highly Recommended

Hey guys,

Quick followup - Got the lifters back from Mizpah probably 2 months ago in the mail. Total cost of $60 for them to disassemble, clean, and rebuild all 12 of my lifters. When I pulled my OEM lifters they were pretty jammed up with crud, despite the cylinder wall surfaces looking brand new. Well to my (and my wallet's) satisfaction, all 12 came back looking beautiful with easy plunger actuation. Motor is sitting in the engine bay awaiting the completion of the rest of the build, but I am confident that these lifters will work 100%. Will put another followup after the motor breathes some life!

hey pollarican I took mine all the way down to main bearings didn't like the way they looked off to the machine shop tomorrow... have the same dilemma!!!! this all came about because of an annoying stuck lifter can you let me know how your rig is running before I make a decision.
mizpah sounds like a good way to go would be cool if you could verify that

I'll try to post some pictures while doing service to my stockers... Maybe it'll get to be a sticky...

good way to clean them

good way to clean them

8BE2228B-753C-4E42-8E27-FFAE4A6FE8C7_zpsgcl1cg6e.jpg

Are these three pieces the two pistons and spring?

B70F5CAB-BD3E-480F-91A9-F0DA1456AB14_zpssx3zudlv.jpg

or is the spring still inside after I take those two and spring out?

Also, my plastic cone pieces don't seem to snap on tightly. I played with some new lifters at the autoparts store (50$ each :eek:) and the plastic pieces seem to stay on a lot easier than my used ones.

My rocker arms and pushrods were pretty worn so I replaced them while replacing the heads. I just want to make sure it wasn't the lifters that caused the whole problem. I had about 2 quarts of coolant in my oil after my head cracked across the top so I'm not sure if the oil pressure messed things up and ruined the functionality of the lifters, or if the lifters need replacing.

8BE2228B-753C-4E42-8E27-FFAE4A6FE8C7_zpsgcl1cg6e.jpg

Are these three pieces the two pistons and spring?

B70F5CAB-BD3E-480F-91A9-F0DA1456AB14_zpssx3zudlv.jpg

or is the spring still inside after I take those two and spring out?

Also, my plastic cone pieces don't seem to snap on tightly. I played with some new lifters at the autoparts store (50$ each :eek:) and the plastic pieces seem to stay on a lot easier than my used ones.

My rocker arms and pushrods were pretty worn so I replaced them while replacing the heads. I just want to make sure it wasn't the lifters that caused the whole problem. I had about 2 quarts of coolant in my oil after my head cracked across the top so I'm not sure if the oil pressure messed things up and ruined the functionality of the lifters, or if the lifters need replacing.

Here ya go.really good thread and pictures ;)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373261

So does cleaning the lifters does it work does it stop the tapping sound? In that other thread link the guy showed how he dissasembled the lifters and cleaned them. But never came back and said if that worked in stopping the noisy lifters. I picked up a set up used lifters couple weeks ago from the junk yard. Got them soaking in Chem-dip cleaner.

So does cleaning the lifters does it work does it stop the tapping sound? In that other thread link the guy showed how he dissasembled the lifters and cleaned them. But never came back and said if that worked in stopping the noisy lifters.

If you clean them, remove the carbon build up and replace and broken springs, then yes they will be as good as new..

Typically its not the lifters that cause noise unless its a collapsed lifter, you will know that sound compared to the typical tapping from the rockers or worn pushrods..

A collapsed lifter will be very loud, your get a loss of power and plug will show signs. .also if you pull your valve covers there will be alot of slack in the rocker to valve tip (way more than the others)you should start with replacing the rockers and pushrods unless you see alot of slack in a specific one..if you have the motor apart then cleaning them is just preventing measures and should always be done..

Back