• Register Today It's free!

Cheap and easy lift kit?

SpoonXLT

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok, I don't want a bunch of people telling me not to buy cheap stuff. I know the scenario, "you get what you pay for".

I have a 92 Explorer XLT that I need to lift. It's basically just a farm truck that makes a town run once in a while, which is why I want to go cheap. It doesn't need to be super durable or even necessarily be comfortable.
Basically looking for bolt on parts. I've been looking at kits but maybe I can do it cheaper by buying pieces separately or get good parts where they are really needed and skimp on some other parts. I don't know.
Can you guys help me out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome
Spoon! How much lift do you want? You can get 2" real cheap and easy, more than that, not so cheap, or easy.

2" would be great. Then I can put on some beefier tires too.

Get cool spacers, and rear shackles. Cheapest you'll get. Next cheapest would be body lift, but on a 92, that'd scare me.

Get cool spacers, and rear shackles. Cheapest you'll get. Next cheapest would be body lift, but on a 92, that'd scare me.

Not that I have a body lift, but why would a body lift scare you on a 92, vs. some other year?

Age and rusted bolts.

Cut the fenders and run the biggest tire you can fit. That is the cheapest lift.

Shackles and spacers seems to be the way to go.
What about shocks? I planned on getting new shocks anyway. Do I need a different length or is there enough travel room with stock length shocks?

You can still run stock length shocks with 2" lift.

If in doubt, measure it out. Then compare to the shock travel specs you have for the shocks you're interested in.

If you are going to buy some I'd get the ones for a 1.5-2 inch lift.

Is a 2" lift enough to fit 31x10.5 tires without trimming anything?

Back