• Register Today It's free!

cheap bumper

-=DaemoN=-

Reaction score
City, State
The Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
Rigless!
I made the bumpers out of a 2x4 3/16" rec tube. It's nothing fancy but it should do it's job.

I will be adding some 1.5 tube bends on the front bumper to cover up the crappy job. :p

2199Explorer_28Mar04_004.jpg

rear bumper.

2199Explorer_28Mar04_002.jpg

up close! I had to cut the frame about 1 1/2" to minimize the gap inbetween the body and bumper.

2199Explorer_28Mar04_006.jpg

The front bumper's bolted to the frame and the rear's welded on.

:chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those look really nice, and I really like the truck. I need to make some tube bumpers sometime soon.

I liking those bumpers. Simple yet cool.

Thanks guys!

Here's a before and after pic.

2199rearbumper_before.jpg

2199rearbumper_after1.jpg

another view of the back end.

2199Explorer_28Mar04_001.jpg

Looks good, but I think you should have made the rear just like the front so it curves around an protects the rear quarters. Like this:Link

I thought mine would look kinda funny with nothing under the rear quaters and a low hanging bumper. Now I even got protection from the rocks:Rock

Kirby N. said:
Looks good, but I think you should have made the rear just like the front so it curves around an protects the rear quarters. Like this:Link

I was going to do that, I've seen it on quite a few Toyota's here but I was sick, lazy, and in a hurry. :D

Kirby N. said:
[/URL]

thats what I was planning to do as well. Dang! you did it first! oh well, but hopefully I'll be posting a thread as we're trying to do it friday :bounce:

Ha! I win! It saved my butt this weekend.

Don't you need a light for your license plate?

Thanks. It got completely scratched this weekend. I had my driverside tire about 2 feet off the ground and my rear bumper on the passenger side completely holding my truck. The scout that was with me got completely mangled.

Liscensce plate lights? Optional!

Sorry Damien. don't mean to highjack...

Kirby N. said:
Sorry Damien. don't mean to highjack...

No problem!

For the license plate lights, I was thinking of cutting a hole on the bumper and reusing one of the lights from the stock bumper. I will post some pics once that's done.

Nice job!

hey I`ve been wondering wether I should just make my own bumpers and thought I would cut the crome splashguard off just below my trim.
I see you cut it right up past the trim to follow the line from the back end.
That looks great too. I was wondering, did you do anything the strengthen that or just cut it? Do you curl up the ends of the cut or anything?
Mine seems to be short on support in that area as it is.

Id50- I left it as it is after cutting.

so I know the rear is welded on, but how do the mounts work? I worked on mine on friday and got the tubing bent, but I haven't decided on how to mount it yet. is there any way to see some close up pics of the mounting? I want to make it kinda strong so it can be pulled on to get be unstuck, and throw in a reciever piece I have for carrying the dirtbike.

yo Kirby N.-how is yours mounted? I wanted to throw some stuff together today but (still) haven't decided how to mount it. any ideas? mine is dual tube with a bend in the middle that comes out then goes back in (kinda hard to explain. anyways, I'll probly just throw sumthin together today and say to hell wid it.

I used some 1/4" plates to the stock brackets then I fabbed up some pieces up by the rear quarters. These are for side impacts mostly, but it helps with general strength as well. It is way tough. I use a High lift on it anywhere. Mine is a beast to get on and off. Takes two people and I have to thread it like a needle- in one side of the springs, around the exhaust and the frame horns. Here is more pics:Side Mount Here is the other mounts Light and LP Mount

The last one is my latest Liscensce plate mount and a Back up light I put in. I also grinded out my welds.

Josh, check out all my pics here:Pics Maybe that will help you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back