Cheap front sway bar upgrade for superlift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cheap front sway bar upgrade for superlift

Diff Whack Daddy

And the Roll Over Posse! Under the Hood Moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mount Vernon, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1st Gen XLT 4dr
Callsign
KG7VTT
I found a way to remove the front sway bar drop down brackets. The rear sway bar is useless due to the heighth of the superlift 5.5" lift. It's diameter does nothing for sway control but hinder off road articulation. If you use the supplied extended links from the rear, you can eliminate the front sway bar drop brackets that cause 33 inch tires to rub at full clock turning.
Here is how it works. Using what ever, I used a hack saw, cut the eye's off the rear extended sway bar links on the longer side away from the bends. Make a second cut measuring 3 1/4 inches in length. Reweld the eye back on, making sure to remove the bushings first, as close as possible to the edge of the eye creating the correct angle for the offset of the front sway bar and its mounting position on the axle. You will also have to grind about an eight to a quarter of an inch off the steel bushing insert to get the correct fit up front.
Next, simply remove the front sway bar drob brackets and the stock connecting links and reinstall the new ones. If you desire quick disconnects, see the thread on this site.
A little bit of hammer help had to go in to placing the lower ends in to the axle mounting points, but over time, I'm sure that will loosen up.

------------------
93XLT-5.5" Super Runner, Super Runner Steering, 1.5" Body lift,33x12.5,
Borla exhaust,KKM air filter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mac,

Great idea to try to eliminate tire rub on the sway bar. What wheel width, backspacing, and tire brand are you running?

Where do you mount the steering stabilizer, if you use one? I have the Superunner steering with the 5.5" and the stabilizer is secured on one end to the passenger side sway bar drop down bracket.

Did you use the stock sway bar mounting brackets in the stock location?

Did this totally eliminate any rubbing on the sway bar, even at full turn?

I would have to argue that the rear sway bar does nothing to control body sway, even with the 5.5". Granted, it is comprimised with the increased height, but it does provide SOME control. Why not make a disconnect for the rear also? Personal preference would rule in this case.

I like your ingenuity though. Good idea.

DOGMAN

Dogman
Yes, this eliminated all the rubbing I had on on the sway bar even at full clock. I do have the superunner steering, but no steering stabalizer. I do have access to a welder though so welding a bracket on the frame is easy enough. The sway bar is mounted in its stock location with the stock hardware. even after driving up on to a 22" stump at full clock turn, the tire was 1 inch away from the sway bar Dead Link Removed

------------------

Mac,

Thanks for the info. Looks like I might have to try your mod, since the sway bar is my only point of contact the tire ever has with the vehicle. While I'm at it, custom disconnects might be in order also.

By the way, what wheels (brand, width and backspacing) are you using?

DOGMAN

DOGMAN,
I am using american eagle 15x8 in rims and Mud Kimg 33x12.50. It is the only thing I have gone cheap on, but I really can't complain. I picked them up as a package deal from dessert rat all for $799 and that included mounting, balancing, and some cheap center caps that are to big and rattle, but a liitle duct tape between the rim and brake drum tightened them up and stopped them from rattling.

------------------

Back