Cheap plastic tabs! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cheap plastic tabs!

I installed the new 9007 blue head light bulbs last night. Removed the battery and air box cover to get enough room and everything went pretty smoothly, EXCEPT for breaking those stinkin' little cheap plastic tabs off the left side electrical connector. Rats! I didn't move them more than 2-3mm max and they folded right up and broke off. There's probably enough friction in the connector to keep it from working loose (and causing the headlamp to quit). But in the event there's not, how tough is it to replace the connector? Does it splice into the wiring harness (unplug further upstream, hopefully)?

The worst part is...the Eurodezigns bulbs don't seem to put out as much light as the OE units. What did I do that for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BarkSlayer said:
I installed the new 9007 blue head light bulbs last night. Removed the battery and air box cover to get enough room and everything went pretty smoothly, EXCEPT for breaking those stinkin' little cheap plastic tabs off the left side electrical connector. Rats! I didn't move them more than 2-3mm max and they folded right up and broke off. There's probably enough friction in the connector to keep it from working loose (and causing the headlamp to quit). But in the event there's not, how tough is it to replace the connector? Does it splice into the wiring harness (unplug further upstream, hopefully)?

9004/9007 sockets should be available at any parts store. Splice into your harness.

I broke one of those tabs on each plug too. The headlights still work so I'm not too worried...or should I...

Yep exact same thing happened to mine! I used some zip ties to just secure the wiring harness aittle better so they wouldn't be so easy to work out. So far so good.....**knock on wood**

CP

I can't seem to get any connectors off without breaking something. :roll:

Usually the sockets wont come off. You can get new sockets and you use a jewelers/eyeglasses small screw driver to push the elect. connecting pins out of the old socket and just slide them into the new one. Or just put in a new harness which will boost your lights output by increasing the voltage. All available at:http://suvlights.tripod.com/suvlightscom/

Thanks, Bill...I'll try the socket replacement. It's probably unnecessary, but it bothers me knowing it's broken. There's an automotive electric specialty place downtown that should have the 9007 style sockets. They may even have a special tool to remove/install the pins. Anything to make it simpler.

Back