• Register Today It's free!

Cheap Power for a '94

^GAWG^

Reaction score
City, State
Brooks, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4.0L
Anybody got any relatively cheap ways to give my Xploder some more power? Its a 94 XLT 4.0L. High mileage so i don't wanna put too much money into it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some guys say intake and exhaust... I really was well pleased when I regeared... but neither of those options are really cheap. I read on here that the tuner chips are not worth the money but have no personal experience with them.

Have you done all the tune up steps? New plugs, newer wires, new air filter, cleaned the MAF. Resolved all engine codes? Change your diff, tranny, transfer case fluids(good fluid means less friction) Those are the cheapest ways to get more power.

Cheap? I agree a tuneup. Although I recently got a tuneup and noticed absolutely no performance increase. It's not a real great engine to start with so asking for more power is somewhat tough even with more money.

Cheap? I agree a tuneup. Although I recently got a tuneup and noticed absolutely no performance increase. It's not a real great engine to start with so asking for more power is somewhat tough even with more money.

It is a great reliable engine, but it is NOT a powerhouse like a V8 is. Don't expect it to be. And on a high mileage engine I would suggest doing the maintenance first. Trying to get more power out such an engine is asking for trouble.

I have a 92 EB so same engine,

I swiss cheesed the airbox, (cutting a bigger hole in the airbox so it can suck in more air, and I did the throttle cable mod, search for them on here "swiss cheese" and "throttle cable mod" you'll find it. Doing them both would take you all of about 30 minutes.
Doing the airbox made mine rev faster and easier, and I have some more acceleration.

Well worth it, fast, and literally free :D

I put a high flow intake on mine for about $40. Thrush "Turbo" muffler with stock pipe for around $70. Seafoam $10. And throttle cable mod $0. Outcome? Prolly 50hp which was not really gained so much as re-gained. Where it used to drag @$$ now I can get up an get out of someone's way if I need to. Still need to do a tune up but so far it runs better than ever.

kool ya i already did the cable mod and ill try cheesin the airbox. I'm liftin it right now tho so it will have to wait.

I put a high flow intake on mine for about $40. Thrush "Turbo" muffler with stock pipe for around $70. Seafoam $10. And throttle cable mod $0. Outcome? Prolly 50hp which was not really gained so much as re-gained. Where it used to drag @$$ now I can get up an get out of someone's way if I need to. Still need to do a tune up but so far it runs better than ever.

lol 50 hp yup more like 5 on the but dyno:thumbdwn:

Back