• Register Today It's free!

Cheap way to lift the rear 4"

Shen2187

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4x4
Ok, so I was given some 4" lift coils for the front and 4" lifted Rancho RS5000 shocks.

What I want to know is, What's the cheapest way to pull 3-4" of lift out of the rear.

Can it be done with shackles alone? Because, I can build my own shackles if It can be done.

I also thought maybe I could pull the rear springs off of a larger truck. But I think that would make the ride extrememly stiff.

Just toss me some ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im not to familiar with the 1st gens but im pretty sure you can do SOA conversion and get at least 3"

SOA gives like 5-5.5". I say use shackles and either AAL, or swap out the springs with those from an F-150.

Good plan... And yes, I've not been around much, been very very busy...

Sorry for my ignorance but what is an SOA and an AAL? I might be interested in doing these if I knew what they were.

Thanks,

soa, aal , sob, ,

soa= spring over axle, , where you change the spring from over the leafs and axle to over the springs and axle with new spring perches,

aal = add a leaf, , where you take out one of the weak springs in the spring pack and add a new one that is arched a bunch more, and is stronger,, it is not really adding a leaf , but it is , on account of the removal of the overloader flat spring on the outside of the pack, ,

You will also need all the brackets for your front. The front springs and shocks alone are not enough to do the front. If you just shove the front springs in there they will make your front tires set like this \.../. Sorry to be the kill joy, but you will have some rivets to cut/grind/torch out to make it all work.....

Yep your gonna have to call up rough country, superlift, or skyjacker and order just the drop bracket portion(beam drop brackets and radius arm drop brackets) of their 4in lift kit. You will also more than likely need a drop pitman arm to correct the steering to minimize bump steer.
An AAL and shackle wont net you a full 4in though but it'll get you close.

AAL + Shackles looks good with a 2" front lift. Your nose will look too tall with a 4" and just that in the back. Here is a pic of my truck with AAL + Shackles in the rear and 2" springs up front (plus a 3" body lift all around). Could you imagine how funny it would look if just the front was 2" taller?
nodoors007.jpg

AAL + Shackles looks good with a 2" front lift. Your nose will look too tall with a 4" and just that in the back. Here is a pic of my truck with AAL + Shackles in the rear and 2" springs up front (plus a 3" body lift all around). Could you imagine how funny it would look if just the front was 2" taller?
nodoors007.jpg

Where are your doors?

soa= spring over axle, , where you change the spring from over the leafs and axle to over the springs and axle with new spring perches,

aal = add a leaf, , where you take out one of the weak springs in the spring pack and add a new one that is arched a bunch more, and is stronger,, it is not really adding a leaf , but it is , on account of the removal of the overloader flat spring on the outside of the pack, ,

Thanks for the update. I see these in a lot of forums and have always wondered the meaning. Sorry for semi-jacking the thread.

couldnt you do soa, and then get some coil spacers as well?

SOA + AAL = FUN

@98WARanger - It's fine dude, people are always happy to help newcomers, just sometimes, they get carried away. :thumbsup:

Not to seem like a jackass but, everything you all have pointed out, I am well aware of. I have welders and plasma cutters etc. I can fabricate most of the stuff I need. Except the drop pitman arm. And that's a whole $60. I've lifted TTB before, I know what happens.

I never asked about the front, I asked for some Ideas, on a way to pull 4" out of the rear. And I've devised a plan.

@98WARanger - It's fine dude, people are always happy to help newcomers, just sometimes, they get carried away. :thumbsup:

So whats the plan on lifting the rear? Lets hear your idea.

EDIT: Oh wait your making the TTB drop brackets?

Oh! Another way you can lift the rear cheap for 4" is to buy the SOA kit and send that and your stock leafs to me. Then when I get the chance to do that I'll send you my 4" Rough Country Leaf Springs! Yayy :biggthump

Anywho, I think the 4" Rough Country Springs are like $300 with the hardware. Froogle that :crazy:

I would look at the superlift 4" leaf pack for the "easiest" way to get 4", but that might not be the most cost effective. I run an aftermarket leaf pack that is not spring over and have about 4-5" of rear lift.

If you got the tools I would say don't waste your time on making drop brackets, instead lengthen your radius arms, build a further back crossmember and relocate your lower ball joints out like the autofab kit. search "cut and turned" beams for ideas. Brackets are okay but have issues, "Cut and Turn" brings the cool.

forget buying the SOA kit, i decided im just gonna have someone weld perches on my axle tubes for me. way way way cheaper than that kit, and i can still use my ext shocks bc i wills till have the factory mount beneath the axle tube. you know i called ford for 8.8 axle perches and the guy had no idea what i was talking about, then said he HAD to have my VIN to look them up. idiots. ill just order universials.

an inch higher in the back wont be that bad, so i guess back to the topic.. a SOA would be the most cost effective.

I dont think Ford sells just the axle perches since there welded on at the plant and they usually dont go bad lol but seriously thats not an item that gets replaced normally.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah but my main arguing point was the 'parts' guy didnt know what a perch was, he kept tryin to sell me a shackle! i tried to get on at that dealership, and they chose that moron over me apparently.

Back