CHEAP Welder | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

CHEAP Welder

Ok, all you tool guys. I'm on a budget here. Looking for a cheap MIG welder just to get started in welding things like exhaust pipe, and thin material. Later on I'd like to step it up a bit to bigger things like a custom from bumper for the X.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-125-Amp-Flu...ryZ46413QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would this be a good starter kit or should I look elsewhere?

-Andy
D.J.O.R. Netzhauptmann

<

manaen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clear Spring, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Xterra Pro-4X
I would really be a bit leary of that welder. It doesn't give any specifications, you're on the right track with the low cost flux core welder though it is a good way to go on a budget. However, I'm guessing the one your looking at has a duty cycle that is less than 10% which will frustrate the heck out of you while trying to weld. But I don't have personal expirience with those specific welders so I really don't know the quality.

On the low end of the welder spectrum are companies like Century, they have a decent product for a budget welder, most of thier units are built well and seem to last a long time. They usually carry at least a 20% duty cycle.

Do you have a Tractor Supply Co store near you? they carry a line of lower cost welders for good prices, and then your not paying to ship a 50 to 60 pound welder.
Tractor Supply Website

Also check out Northern Tool, they have some quality stuff as well.
Northern Tool Website

<

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
post-jbweld-732294.jpg

(sorry:D)

<

<

manaen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clear Spring, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Xterra Pro-4X
One other thing to consider is parts availability, you will eventually need to replace the tip, gun, or rollers, etc...

<