Typo King
Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Who makes the cheapest 4 inch lift?
Ive found the, I beleive, ruff country with the shocks and everything for 580
And Ive seen one of the others with out the shocks or pitman arm for 460ish I think. Is that pretty good for a lift front and rear? I was thinking 2 inch body plus the 2" coils and shackles for cost but I didnt realize you could get lifts this cheap. It might be worth the extra couple hundred to have functional bumpers still. From my research, it looks like the same amount of work to do the suspension vs the body lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stage I suspension is less work then the body lift depending on what you are good at.
Stage I = no radius arms, no rear leaf springs.

You have ALOT of options here, most of what you spend your $$$ on depends on what you want to use the truck for (mostly looks to hard core wheeling)

Like Fortune already stated you have various options, but the first step would be determining the intended use of your vehicle.. Since $$ is an issue you don't want to over build a vehicle that sees only street use, but at the same time you wouldn't want to under build a vehicle that may see Off-Road use. Upgrading a basic lift to be more capable will always cost you more than installing the proper lift the 1st time..

with that said my custom off road suspension handles better on the street then any BII from the factory ever dreamed! So the money IMO was also well spent for daily driving......

i have the 4" rough country kit, and im very pleased with it, it is a great kit for the money, but it will never compare to skyjacker stage 2 kit, but then again it cost $700 more then the rough country

well thats because the single best improvement you can make to the TTB is to extend the radius arms, it changes the entire geometry of how the beam cycles and also increases the wheel travel as well as absorb lateral loads far better (speed bumps).

Any drop bracket kit without arms is a good way to re-fresh a suspension, new coils and shocks, even change the spring rate for a better ride. But the cost jumps up for the radius arms, IMO worth it for anyone looking for a better ride and off road performance.

As stated above, figure out what kind of use the truck will get. If it's just a look you're going for and maybe the occasional dirt road, the cheapest would probably be coil spacers and a 3" body lift for about $130. You'll be able to fit 33s with that right there.

Well, honestly it will be mostly street, I hope to get more into offroading cause it looks really fun but the truth is I just have a bug to build stuff. Anything, computers, cars shelves, anything. I sold my car to get the wife a minivan, Im nice like that. My ultimate goal is to fix up the x and not buy a new car for myself, i figure cheaper and exaclty what I want for less money is a good idea. I want to run 33s with the perry conversion to the new ranger style front end.
I figure I need 4 inches of lift with the fenders to do it. I dont want it too tall because of my garage and street driving.
I think the handling got worse with the 31s I put on so perhaps the radius arms are a good idea. I was looking for a cheaper lift because the fiberglass and paint will cost a fair amount to do really nice plus gears will cost alot.
Maybe Ill go with the body lift and coils/shackel first and upgrade to the duff with radius arms later if I really dont like the ride or I do get into more serious off roading, then im only out the cost of the lift coils and they are pretty cheap. Im thinking a 2 inch body lift will be much safer and easier than 3 and look better. Unless i need 5 inches in the rear for 33s. What do you think?

If you're getting fiberglass up front all you need is 3" to clear them. Just do a 3" body lift and you're good. You'll need to trim a little off the front bumper to match the fenders and a little off the firewall so they don't rub.

this is a 4" lift with glass and 33s. they'll fit with just 3"

1600colinexplorer.jpg

You can see what I mean about the front bumper though.

How many inches are the flares on your fenders? Is that what you had on the grey explorer you post picks of sometimes. You can see them well in some of the shots on those. I think Im going to use the conversion kit though
I have to at least replace my stock springs they are old so might as well do the 2 inch lift ones. From the looks of that pic a 3 inch body plus the 2 suspension will make the wheel openings look kinda huge with 33s so I think im going to go 2 inch body lift. Might be able to avoid some of the problems

mysticclam said:
How many inches are the flares on your fenders? Is that what you had on the grey explorer you post picks of sometimes. You can see them well in some of the shots on those. I think Im going to use the conversion kit though
I have to at least replace my stock springs they are old so might as well do the 2 inch lift ones. From the looks of that pic a 3 inch body plus the 2 suspension will make the wheel openings look kinda huge with 33s so I think im going to go 2 inch body lift. Might be able to avoid some of the problems
That's the same truck as the grey one just before the 35s and paint. I think Perry's glass is a 6" pull.
Good idea about the springs too.

Perry's an get you 4" or 6" buldge I believe.

I thought you said cheap!!
hahaha the conversion to the ranger edge is gonna cost you a bit, its like $800-1000 for the piece and then all the work to fit it, headlights, etc. It is also made to be used with a wide track width up front and some lift. Withouth wide wheels and some lif the Edge clip might look kinda funny IMO.

Did you see they also make a Sport Trac conversion now for a Gen I explorer. I personally like that one the best, but again $$$, espeically for the headlights, header panel, etc.

OH I see you want to save $$$ in the lift to pay for the glass, I say save the $$$ and do both, glass last, lift first, thats how you get into wheeling. As the truck gets bigger you learn how it goes offroad, bigger and bigger with every mod.

If going for looks I agree, body lift, fiberglass, stuff 33's, but be careful which glass you choose, it might look silly if you get a big wide front clip with a stock truck underneath...

:)

Back