Cheapest way I found to lower the 99X, will it work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cheapest way I found to lower the 99X, will it work?

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Here is the cheapest way I could think of to lower my 99 X Sport. Tell me if this would work!

I wanna drop it 3 inches. I read the rear is about 1 inch lower than the front so what I am going to do is take the torsion bolts all the way out in the front. I read this drops it 3 ". Then In the rear get 2" drop blocks and install that. And Wala, 3" drop. My question is does removing torsion bolts have ne harm on nething? And will i need new shocks? Nething else I need to take into consideration? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need new shocks, you need to trim or buy new low profile bumpstops, and you need an alignment.

You will definately need camber adjusters as well as an alignment.

What besides lowering the X happens when taking out the torsion bolts? What are they there in the first place for? Also, could you point me to some cheap shocks that would work :-D

where can i get camber adjusters at also? Man this is getting more expensive than I hoped

Originally posted by Afboy143
what I am going to do is take the torsion bolts all the way out in the front. I read this drops it 3 ".
This will vary from vehicle to vehicle. Could be 1.5", could be 3". No way to really know until you do it.

Originally posted by Afboy143
What besides lowering the X happens when taking out the torsion bolts? What are they there in the first place for? Also, could you point me to some cheap shocks that would work :-D

The torsion bolts are only there for torsion bar adjustment. They are not there to hold anything together.

So where can I find some decent shocks and camber adjusters for my truck?

One other thing that hasnt been mentioned yet is the ride quality will go out the window.

If you're dropping it that much I would recommend going with something other than a stock explorer shock. Do some research and see what shocks are out there that will be a slightly shorter length or go with the edelbrock shocks for lowered explorers. They are only meant for a 1.5" drop but will be better than a stock shock. Maybe hartman has some info as to what other shocks will work.

As long as you're two wheel drive you can lower it as much as you want as long as you can get the alignment set right. Most decent alignment shops will have the camber adjusters for your truck in stock, but they can only correct the camber so much and 3" is pushing it.

did you end up doing it? I'm thinking of either dropping my 99 Sport or tires/wheels combo...

if you did, how's the ride quality? and how did you get it done? how much did you spend?

Back