Check Chargin System Icon: No 4x4, ABS, Traction Control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Chargin System Icon: No 4x4, ABS, Traction Control

TC24

Reaction score
City, State
minnestoa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT
FORD Explorer 2007 XLT 130k

Started up my car on a fridged -7 degree morning....everything was fine until I hit the gas..check charging system light came on, 4x4 would not work, no traction control, sirius radio wouldn't turn on and the abs light came on. When I take my foot off the gas all the icons disappear and the airbag light comes on...I have no idea what to think. The car drives fine besides whats mentioned above...no grindeing/weird noises and she starts up just fine.

Any ideas?
Battery last year, alternator was replaced about 2 years ago, front hub assemblies last year...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Additional findings…. volt meter was at 14 and went to 16 after driving. Battery was hissing after driving home today but was at 13.3... Thinking it's an alternator issue. Guess no one else has any experience with this huh?

I haven't seen that, but I think you have a good diagnosis.
Have the alternator checked to confirm. Hopefully the high voltage hasn't damaged anything.

Just if anyone has this problem, it turned out to be the alternator. My battery was dead after letting it sit for 2 days so hopefully it's is fine (as well as all modules). Car quest said it would validate the warranty as I used their product to replace it 2 years ago. No problems on the test drive.

Just if anyone has this problem, it turned out to be the alternator. My battery was dead after letting it sit for 2 days so hopefully it's is fine (as well as all modules). Car quest said it would validate the warranty as I used their product to replace it 2 years ago. No problems on the test drive.
When you said you heard your battery hissing first thing I thought was your voltage regulator failed and was over charging your batt. (i.e. overheating by overcharge) that probably damaged a cell or so in the batt. which will now draw down the others trying to maintain its charge.
And I see your up in MN and with the weather the way it is.
A new batt with that new alt. it wouldn't be a poor investment. IMO

I'd also have been suspicious of the alternator as well. Similar scenario on my F150 when the alternator failed - the guages went crazy, the battery was damaged from an overvoltage situation.

Back