check engine light and air bag light help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

check engine light and air bag light help

usmc1142

Reaction score
City, State
st. louis mo.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 bronco
Awhile ago I changed out the clutch in my g-friends 99 ranger and pinched the wiring harness that sits between the back of the engine and tranny. The check engine light is on and so is her airbag light which blinks out code 37.
I repaired the harness but the light is sstill on and so is the air bag light. The part of the harness that was pinched was going to an o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm getting tired of looking at this damn truck every week-end. Thanks, John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe there is too much resistance, compared to stock in the repaired connections?

what codes the check light complaining about?????

the engine code is p1131. I think it means the o2 sensor says it's running lean. As far as a higher resistance, I pulled a new section of harness from a junk yard and western unioned the wire then taped it so the resistance should be fine. (i guess I should have put "" around the word should;) )

well.... it is quite possible that your 02 sensor is bad...:) coincidence maybe. Cause... if there was a high resistance, your voltage would be high and the code should then be "running rich". In addition, the sensors "switch" as part of their "function"... if they don't, you would get another code (ie. slow switching, etc). Just my guess.

what about the airbag light? how would that be tied in to the harness?

LFC - Lamp Fault Code

i don't see a code 37 for the Air Bag. the chart i have goes to 35. some of the stuff i have seen but can't confirm show it's for the passenger side, short or open circuit.

if you could get the "B" code from the AirBag system (same port for engine codes) i should be able to find it.

did you have the battery disconnected when doing the clutch??

does her truck have an AirBag deactivation swt??

what engine and drive system does she have?? (4cyl-2.5L, v6-4.0L, v6-3.0L or v6-3.0L FlexFuel) (4x2, 4x4)

code - P1131 - Lack of O2 Bank 1(Bank 1 is same side as #1 cyl), front sensor, lack of switching, indicates lean.

could be shorted or open wire.

the truck is a 4 cyl. and no, I don't believe i dosconnected the battery while removing the tranny. Her truck does have a de-activation switch. How do I get a b code? this is new to me. Thanks for the questions!! I hope we can figure this out.

you would scan for codes just like for engine codes but on some scanners you need to switch menus for AirBag codes.

Back