• Register Today It's free!

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT BBK 66mm

fmaster7

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4
I installed a Brand New BBK 66mm Throttle Body the other day. I get a rough idle and it stalls sometimes until it warms up. I get a check engine light on and it idles perfect, when the light goes off it idles rough again at about 500.

I have a code reader and got the codes 998 PAUSE 157. Thats definately how it blinked on my reader.

Can anybody help me out, im afraid to take it on the road like this :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The codes you listed don't exist. You might try retrieving the codes like this http://www.extreme-check-engine-light-codes.com/Ford OBD1 Decoder.htm and see if you have any better luck.

From just your description it sounds like you have unregistered air entering down stream of the MAF (more commonly known as a vacuum leak).

Well it said on the paper i got with the throttle body to let it run, it needs to learn to controll the idle.

Now in that link you gave me, code 99 is: EEC has not learned to control idle.

That makes sense, but then the rest of the numbers i have are 81 57

Code 81 is something about a map sensor. Do I have a map sensor?

You probalbly did this but if not I'd sugjest disconecting the positive cable and reconecting it then starting to get the computer to shut down the reboot.

You probalbly did this but if not I'd sugjest disconecting the positive cable and reconecting it then starting to get the computer to shut down the reboot.

I already reset the computer before I put on the throttle body. Ill try it again.

...It sounds like these codes are wrong as in the test you did was wrong...

57 = Intermittent in Park/Neutral/ Switch or Neutral Pressure switch circuit - PNP or Transmissions

81 = Boost control solenoid - Solenoids
AIRD solenoid - Solenoids and Air Injection
3.0L SHO - Inlet Air Solenoid - Solenoids

99 (R) ISC needs to learn (Let idle for 2 minutes, Erase memory and retest)
___________________________________________________________________________________

...Your original codes from first post...

157 (R,M) Mass Air Flow signal is/was low or grounded - MAF

998 (R) Did not pass Key On Engine Off test yet (Get 111 in KOEO first)
(O) Transmission Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) solenoid/circuit fault [EEC Tests]

...If you do have a MAP sensor, this should help..;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241541&highlight=map

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i did the test with the engine running...ive never got a check engine light before.

now how exactly should i do this test, with the engine off or on?

im letting the computer reset as we speak

...If you reset the codes, you will need to drive it for a few trips and approx 50 miles, for all of the codes to come back...

...Your results show that you did not first, do the KOEO (not running) test...

...This thread will tell you how to test and there are 2 links in the first post...Be sure to read tham also as they have pics...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147734

...If you reset the codes, you will need to drive it for a few trips and approx 50 miles, for all of the codes to come back...

...Your results show that you did not first, do the KOEO (not running) test...

...This thread will tell you how to test and there are 2 links in the first post...Be sure to read tham also as they have pics...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147734

so basically i preheat the engine, turn it off, turn key on and it should give me some codes? And if theres nothing wrong ill get 111. Then i disconnect the test plug when its giving me a code to reset the codes and not the whole computer.

Then I go to a test with the engine running. I saw in that thread that after the codes are outputted it will rev the engine. It did that with me, then the check engine light went off.

Im sorry if i got this wrong, the article was very confusing and ive never done this before.

...Yes you can...:biggthump

...I myself just use a paperclip and the dash light but you can surely use your scanner....

...Yes you can...:biggthump

...I myself just use a paperclip and the dash light but you can surely use your scanner....

GOTCHA, now that makes it a whole lot easier.

Can I PM you if I hit a snag?

...Go ahead and ask your questions here as others may learn from your experience...;)

...I think you are on the right track, you just did the second test before you did the first test...:scratch:

...Go ahead and ask your questions here as others may learn from your experience...;)

...I think you are on the right track, you just did the second test before you did the first test...:scratch:

ohhh, that makes sense.

so i preheat the engine, turn it off, plug in the code reader, turn key on and count the lights?

then i do the second test just like that but with the engine running?

I need it in very plain english hahaaa

...Yes.

..Follow the procedures in post #10.

...Yes.

..Follow the procedures in post #10.

Okay will do...ill post my progress on here tomorrow night. And thanks for the help.

...No problem...We will be looking for your results..

...No problem...We will be looking for your results..

okay, i passed in KOEO. I got these codes with it running, 17, 25, 36.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BUMP, need to know this ASAP

Back