Check Engine Light Code 327 on 95 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light Code 327 on 95 Explorer

itzbinnice

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Xlt Black
Greetings,
I've been reading posts for days but hopefully can get an answer here.

My 95 Explorer XLT 4.0 (119K Miles) with EECC-IV (OBD1) recently has the check engine light come on. I discovered if shortly after starting the vehicle and driving on a highway for many miles it would not come on, As soon as I exited the highway and stopped for a light the CEL light appeared. I could shut the engine off, when re-starting the light stayed off for a little while but then came on and stayed on.
Only when I drove on highways would it not come on.

I bought a OBD 1 code reader specifically for Fords and received a code of 327 with KOEO (Key Off-Engine Off) and Continuous Memory. I did not attempt Key Off Engine Running test.

The 327 code indicates EGR valve position circuit below minimum voltage.

The engine runs smoothly and I really can't see any performance loss, only the CEL light staring me in the face.

From reading, the most likely cause is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Pressure Feedback Sensor (DPFE). The EGR valve was replaced by a shop in 1998, but I don't think that's the cause. I plan to replace The DPFE with the superior OEM Motorcraft part kit that is plastic and not aluminum (DPFE5). I have read this part has a different connector to it and must be spliced in. I'm not fond of the idea of splicing wires, nowhere can I find the proper way to do it. The DPFE5 parts kit appears to include the hoses which are a bonus.

Can somebody please advise the procedure to splice the connector in?

Also does anybody have a flow chart of the steps to take when troubleshooting the 327 error code.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions made.

P.S. The error codes have been cleared several time but keep reappearing. The CEL now appears much faster than it has in the past.
:salute:

Follow Up Code 327

:salute:My sincerest gratitude to forum members boggs1227 and Mikeinri for posting their experience with the code 327 and ultimately solved my problem.

Below are some reference posts so others can read should anyone experience the 327 code.

boggs1227
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242379&highlight=327

Mikeinri (KOEO Code 327 from Hell!!! )
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191074

The code 327 is "EGR valve position circuit below minimum voltage"
This appeared with KOEO (Key Off-Engine Off) and Continuous Memory. No other codes were present. My first inclination was to replace the EGR valve but that would have been a waste of money.

Both bogg1227 and Mikeinri suggested to change the DPFE sensor, they also recommended to use ONLY THE FORD MOTORCRAFT REPLACEMENT since some of the cheaper after market ones failed well before their time.

I ordered the Motorcraft from Amazon for 83.11 shipped including tax.
The connector on this part had changed as the forum posts indicated and made the job of replacing a bit more difficult since it had to be spliced into the old harness. The harness is quite short in that area to solder the splice. The instructions that came with the sensor were easy to understand.

I cleared the codes before the installation process. Once installed, I ran the engine to operating temperature, then did another KOEO test, NO MORE 327 CODES.

I then took the XLT for a 20 mile drive and the Check Engine Light never came on again. Prior to that it would come on as soon as the engine reached near operating temperature. I then ran a KOER test and had no codes so it looks like the issue is resolved.

Thanks to the posts by bogg1227 and Mikeinri, I was able to repair my XLT at minimal cost. I would have bought an after market DPFE and most likely would have the problem re-occur, not worth the 20.00 or so savings if you have to do the job again.:salute:

Back