• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light finally solved

prince402

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer
The check engine light comes on after a few minutes of driving. Turning the key off, then starting turns off the CEL for a few minutes. The engine revs smoothly up to 4100 rpm then stumbles there, then smoothes out above that toward red line.
KOEO Codes: 111, 214, 542.
111: Pass
214: Cylinder identification (CID) circuit failure.
542: Fuel pump open; PCM to motor.
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and what eliminated these error codes.

This is my 1994 EB 4.0L Explorer with 196K mi. in very good running condition and no rust, being a Florida car. It still looks good and I like it enough to do repairs and keep it.

This is not turning out well so far. My mechanic exchanged my PCM (or EEC, whatever) with a used one without asking me. I would have requested a manufactured one due to age induced component failure. Anyway I still get the same error codes. Taking it back on Monday.

I just noticed that I never posted a solution to this. So even though it's late I figured it may be of some use. The mechanic give me a second salvaged PCM and the truck has been running perfectly since that date. Those codes were indicating a faulty PCM.

Back