check engine light on after replacing engine mgmt sensors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

check engine light on after replacing engine mgmt sensors

98rojo

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLS
Hello. My check engine light just went on just after I replaced the IAC valve, TPS, and Camshaft position sensor. The last 2 I just replaced today. The IAC valve about 2 weeks ago. I know squat about auto mechanics. I just thought it being a '03 sport with 126,000 mi, it would be a good idea. This is the 2nd vehicle I've owned in recent years and before my 98 sport's transmission went, my last vehicle was a 74 Celica in '90. So I guess I'm all about tinkering and doing easy mods myself for a little extra zip. Since I bought my recent sport, I installed a KN air intake, Hurst short shift, Flowmaster delta 40, and a throttle body spacer. The rest was just replacing stuff like the recent sensors. So here's the thing. My idle would still rev high when I push the clutch in to shift up. Also whenver I turn on the a/c...and stop the engine, It wouldn't start. It would just crank but not turn over. When this was happening, the check engine light wasn't on. So this happened 4 times. The first time I was in bumper to bumper traffic and my foot slipped and killed it on the freeway. Pushed to the side and waited about 20 min after trying to start a few times. I let it go then it started all of a sudden. The other 3 times I just called AAA and they'd come out...one said I was out of gas. I had just under 1/2 tank so I knew he was blowing smoke. This other driver said it was my fuel pump. I could hear the pump pumping when I turned ignition to on position. More smoke. The last time the guy was just stumped. So I've been driving around with no a/c here in San Diego for a couple weeks. So I had this stupid urge to try and solve it myself. I looked up the sensors that were not too pricey and super easy to replace. Hello check engine light and still no A/C. The idle went a little weird after replacing the TPS and camshaft sensor. It actually idles low when I'm stopped. Holy crap I just realized how long this post is. Sorry. I know this is a screwed up situation I dug myself into. I've decided, after spending a boatload on her, to keep her till she croaks. Meanwhile trying to keep her maintained and bandaged up till she does. So, if any of you guys have any ideas of what could possibly be wrong without having to take it to the shop...I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance. I really enjoy this forum and just reading stuff and wishlisting a bunch of things I can do to upgrade. After this incident though, maybe I should face the fact that I don't know diddly and should leave things to the pros. :(

What code do you have now?

re: code

Thanks for your message...Haven't been to get the code yet. Just got bad news from home. Does Autozone loan scanners out?

Back