Check engine light on and can't pass emissions.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check engine light on and can't pass emissions....

kittenofd00m

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
I am considering buying a used Ford Explorer XLT. This is a 2006 Ford Explorer XLT with 120,000 miles. The check engine light is on and it cannot pass emissions. Everything else seems to be good. Owner says it is driven daily to work and back with seemingly no issues. Mechanic told the owner that it will need a wiring harness replaced eventually, but the owner does not know which wiring harness.

I have searched Google for possible wiring harness/emissions problems with no luck, so I thought I'd ask you guys if you were familiar with issues like this.

What wiring harness could affect emissions testing? Are the wiring harnesses expensive or difficult to replace?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the owner know what the codes are? Tell the owner to fix it, then you will buy it. No way would I purchase a vehicle in a smog required area that won't pass.

Does the owner know what the codes are? Tell the owner to fix it, then you will buy it. No way would I purchase a vehicle in a smog required area that won't pass.
I live in a rural area that does not require emissions testing. But my bigger concern is just how big a problem this could be. I will run codes on it in the morning when I go look at it. But if a wiring harness is messed up, couldn't that make it throw bad codes as well?

Sure, but it would depend on the harness and what is messed up about it.

It could be right at the plug like in my case where throttle sensor wires were cross contacting.

Is it a 4.0 SOHC motor? If so you better research the timing chain issues before dropping your cash. There’s probably something better to spend your money on.

Also, avoid ANY vehicle with electrical issues. They can be intermittent and extremely difficult or expensive to fix.

Is it a 4.0 SOHC motor? If so you better research the timing chain issues before dropping your cash. There’s probably something better to spend your money on.

Also, avoid ANY vehicle with electrical issues. They can be intermittent and extremely difficult or expensive to fix.
I am taking your advice and letting this one go. I am not in a terrible hurry, so I will just save up a little more and look for something a little better.

I am taking your advice and letting this one go. I am not in a terrible hurry, so I will just save up a little more and look for something a little better.
My advice is to buy a V8 model. Preferably from the years 2009-2010. The V8 doesn't have the timing chain issues of the 4.0L SOHC V6 and it has a much better six speed transmission mated to it than the 5R55 five speed transmission that comes with V6 engines. It also gets better gas mileage and has a lot more power than the V6.

My advice is to buy a V8 model. Preferably from the years 2009-2010. The V8 doesn't have the timing chain issues of the 4.0L SOHC V6 and it has a much better six speed transmission mated to it than the 5R55 five speed transmission that comes with V6 engines. It also gets better gas mileage and has a lot more power than the V6.

What if I found a $2500 2004 Aviator (DOHC Alum 4.6L v8)...what if I also found a $100 Eaton M90.......

Could I call it a Marauder AWD?

What if I found a $2500 2004 Aviator (DOHC Alum 4.6L v8)...what if I also found a $100 Eaton M90.......

Could I call it a Marauder AWD?
That combo might be an exercise in finding drive train weak points. A time consuming and expensive exercise. ;)

That combo might be an exercise in finding drive train weak points. A time consuming and expensive exercise. ;)
LOL, I have already snagged a front differential for $100 last night.

Between the mountaineer and aviator I figured I have a few spare drivetrain parts now.

Back