Check Engine Light Question............... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light Question...............

forddrummer

Reaction score
City, State
texarkana, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 V8
Recently I have had a check engine light on.
Well, just went to start my 97 v8 explorer and it sputtered and had a crappy idle and died. It wouldnt start without applying the gas pedal and then would finally start and idle slow but real crappy.

Anyways, my dad says its a sensor thats bad "only in the winter".
I reset the engine light and now im wondering when it will come back on .

Car runs fine and idles fine after reseting the light and letting it adjust and "read: levels again....i guess.

HOW LONG BEFORE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WILL COME BACK ON AGAIN.
I NEED TO PULL CODES!

ANYONE KNOW WHAT MY PROBLEM MIGHT BE ALSO!

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!

Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Determine what code(s) is illuminating the CEL and post it here. Someone will help you then.

Good luck....

How Long Before The Check Engine Light Will Come Back On Again. :(

The engine light will come on again when the PCM sees the fault again, it may be intermittant. It would be nice to know what the codes are before resetting the light.

By re-setting the light you have not cleared the codes. They are still in the computers memory. I forget the exact numbers.
But basicly after a dozen start ups, if there is no problem detected, the light will shut it's self off, but drop the codes into a memory bank. This same thing happens when you unplug the battery.

If the vehicle is driven for enough miles for the vehicle to complete the whole vehicles systems check, then they will be dumped from the memory.
Now, if the problem is detected again. The light will return. I believe this second number (driving distance) to be around 100 miles.

Please take this with a grain of salt. I know I read it all on here late one night. I just can't remember the specific numbers.
Oh well, there's a idea of the process at least.

ok lights back on again and i have a code

P0141

bad O2 sensor

says my oxygen sensor 2 in bank 1 is malfunctioned.

I found both O2 sensors and there is one in between the tires on the exhaust and one downstream a lil more in a tight place up on top. im guessing its this one.

you guys think this is a serious matter?should i fix it immediatly or wait.......i am taking a 7 hour drive in 4 days?

let me know which sensor you think it might be and stuff.

you guys rule!

Ben

Any time a CEL is illuminated, I personally fix the problem asap; I recommend the same procedure.

dreamr said:
By re-setting the light you have not cleared the codes. They are still in the computers memory. I forget the exact numbers.
But basicly after a dozen start ups, if there is no problem detected, the light will shut it's self off, but drop the codes into a memory bank. This same thing happens when you unplug the battery.

Disconnecting the battery for more than a few seconds will clear the vehicles Keep Alive Memory, the only code that you should get after that is P1000.

Back