• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light??

Brimark

Reaction score
City, State
Everett,WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport 4.0
Check engine light used to go on then off about 2 days later. I have changed the spark plugs, pcv valve, spark plug wires, oil, filter etc.. I reset the computer a few days ago and it just came back on tonight. Car is running excellent and only noticible difference is a dip in gas mileage. Any suggestions???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey welcome to the site! I would check Oxegen sensors..they wear out and trip the light often.

It certainly could be O2 sensors. Have you "asked" the computer what problem it "saw?" Usually, when the check engine light comes on, the computer "remember" what problem it saw in the form of trouble code. Knowing what trouble code it saw will direct you to the problem system/component.

Originally posted by MrShorty
It certainly could be O2 sensors. Have you "asked" the computer what problem it "saw?" Usually, when the check engine light comes on, the computer "remember" what problem it saw in the form of trouble code. Knowing what trouble code it saw will direct you to the problem system/component.
yeah I asked my ford dealer to run a check of codes for me and they wanted $100....lol..i was like "no thats ok..I'll just drive it"...lol

Unless you know someone at a dealership,don't bother having them 'read' the codes. You can go to any decent local parts place and buy a reader pretty cheap. NOTE- The diagnosis from the reader is VERY unreliable with these symptoms. I agree with everyone...O2's are the most likely suspect. Try them first and let us know.

:chug:

Originally posted by oahrens
Unless you know someone at a dealership,don't bother having them 'read' the codes. You can go to any decent local parts place and buy a reader pretty cheap. NOTE- The diagnosis from the reader is VERY unreliable with these symptoms. I agree with everyone...O2's are the most likely suspect. Try them first and let us know.

Do you have a reader? I have always wondered if it was worth it since I try to do all my own work on the truck...

my .02

In my experiences over the last year dealing w/CEL on the Ex and the Ranger, and someone mentioned it here, a bad O2 sensor wont trip a CEL light, just crappy mileage. I changed out all O2s in the vehicles, just cause they had 80k, and the culprit on the Ranger was a bad Canister Purge Valve, and a DPFE (EGR) sensor on the Ex. A CEL is for emissions, an O2 sensor control your fuel/air mixture and provides, when good, the optimum mpg.
I can't see which engine you have, but what I am hearing is ALOT of DPFE sensor/valves that control the EGR vacuum.
ALL IMHO..
lata.

Re: my .02

Originally posted by kps36
In my experiences over the last year dealing w/CEL on the Ex and the Ranger, and someone mentioned it here, a bad O2 sensor wont trip a CEL light, just crappy mileage. I changed out all O2s in the vehicles, just cause they had 80k, and the culprit on the Ranger was a bad Canister Purge Valve, and a DPFE (EGR) sensor on the Ex. A CEL is for emissions, an O2 sensor control your fuel/air mixture and provides, when good, the optimum mpg.
I can't see which engine you have, but what I am hearing is ALOT of DPFE sensor/valves that control the EGR vacuum.
ALL IMHO..
lata.
Well, the 02 sensors are an emmissions item and on our 1988 ford van the engine light would come on and go off and we replaced the O2 sensor and it was the culprit. i figure they are a good starting place...maybe it'll be something else, but it's good to replace the 02 sensors occasionally regardless.

I don't need my own reader cause my brother is a parts mgr at a local Ford dealer. Yeah...I know I lucked out.

Possibilities--- O2's, dirty MAF, FPR, EGR, clogged cats.

AUTOZONE!

Try Autozone parts store. They'll read your codes for free. Look it up in the Haynes manual, if you don't have one the store guy should look at one for you.

Being that this is a 96 vehicle. Do you know anyone that works for any major car maker. Gm, Ford, Dodge, any of these will work. Take it to your buddy and have him read it. In 96 the govt mandated every vehicle to be OBD II compliant. Being this way. Any scanner from Gm Ford or Dodge will read the code. I work for Dodge and all the time I am ready codes for Ford Gm and others. It might not tell you a whole bunch atleast you can get the code number and look it up. I have a Chiltons book that can tell the code. So post it here and I am sure I or someone can tell you what it is. Just an idea.

Eric

Code Reader Link

Here's a link to a top of the line reader. The company also provides great code info.

Dead Link Removed

Just some usefull info...

my check engine light was caused by a bad catalytic converter...costed $800

Originally posted by espnfreak

Gee... they surely took you on a ride if it cost $800 for a cat job

I hope you at least got a flowers after being F'D that bad for a cat!! My CEL was also clogged cat...paid $130 and did it myself.

Originally posted by espnfreak
Under warentee right? I'll also bet it was expensive since you got 2 of 'em.

I have an appointment to have someone read the codes for me on Wednesday. Cost is about $85. Anyone know of a place in Everett or Seattle Washington that will read the codes free or of a lower charge?

I will post the computer reading codes so hopefully it will help others with the CEL problem.

Ford had a 80k mile warrantee on them, so i just had it fixed. I guess having a cat going bad is a rare problem? I dont see too many people having any problems with them

I HAVEN'T LOOKED YET BUT A FRIEND WHO ALSO HAS THE SAME 94 XLT CLAIMS THAT THERE IS ONLY ONE O2 SENSOR TO CHANGE? I'VE HEARD PEOPLE ON HERE TALKING ABOUT 2 ? SO WHAT IS THE CORRECT NUMBER?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 68K miles on my 96 Sport with a 4.0 engine. I am not aware of anything covered by warranty. Did someone mention that the Cats are covered by warranty?

Back