• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light

DASEXPLORER

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 & 2020 Limited 4WD
The light came on tonight while driving. Looked at the Ford Pass information and it indicated Malfunction Indicator Lamp - Regulatory
I find nothing in the manual about this.
Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The light came on tonight while driving. Looked at the Ford Pass information and it indicated Malfunction Indicator Lamp - Regulatory
I find nothing in the manual about this.
Any ideas?

You profile says a 2016 Explorer but you posted in the 6th gen (2020) forum. Which do you have?

I need to change my profile, I have both a 2016 & 2020 Limited.
My recent posts have been about the 2020.
Along with today’s issue, the 2020 was in the shop most of last week due to a check engine light from last Saturday that limited the vehicle power and only allowed 2nd gear. The dealership found 2 codes: 1116 & 2243, neither were active but had been stored. The vehicle only has 500 miles and I’ve now had 2 events.
I’m not feeling very good about the 2020 limited so far. Never had any issues like this with the 2016 limited.

Started the 2020 this morning Check Engine Light still on; however the vehicle does start and run, so whatever the problem, it's not critical.
Log In to my Ford account to see if this event had been logged and found an 1 Issue. It doesn't give as much detail as the phone app. I assume this information is available to dealerships, so if I call the dealership that worked on the explorer last week, they can access this information.
The Ford Pass web site as an area that says "Let's get to work", however it's had the spinning oval for the last 30 minutes, so we're not getting much work done.

No resolution or fix yet ?

No resolution or fix yet ?
I’d hoped so, the dealership had the vehicle for a couple days last week. They were not able to reproduce the fault (the check engine light cleared after a couple of days). The solution was to reflash the program and hope for the best.
Today, the check engine light came on again, ran the vehicle health report from Ford Pass and got the same message “Malfunction Indicator Lamp - Regulatory”. No clue as to what this means, the dealership from last couldn’t give me an answer, so I guess I’m back nearly to stage 1.
I sent a text message to my service rep with the latest and ask to have their technical service manager call me tomorrow.

Yea the FordPass will only indicate a general message for check engine light but you need to get the actual code pulled to know what the problem is. Go to advance auto or autozone and they check it for free if you don’t own your own scanner.

Was the issue fixed? Did it happen again? I just got my explorer on 1st and today same issue happened. I will take it to dealer tomorrow.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

This happened to me at around 2200 miles, the dealer checked it out and found nothing. It had gone off after a few hours and hasn't happened since now at over 3000 miles.

This happened to me at around 2200 miles, the dealer checked it out and found nothing. It had gone off after a few hours and hasn't happened since now at over 3000 miles.
I haven't driven 300 miles yet.

I wanted to give an update. Vehicle was driving fine this morning but check-engine light was still on. Dealership said that it just needed a program reset. The codes that were given: P062C and P2243. Also, they said that they have seen a few cars with similar problem and Ford has sent them instructions to perform certain resets if the issue occurs.

2022 brand new ford Explorer limited and for 3 weeks straight i have had to take my car into the dealership 45 minutes away and get a rental (for free).
Same light keeps coming on "malfunction indicator lamp" and they replaced the sending unit and one sensor so far. Back into the shop today 3rd time :( with the same problem. Ford called them and told them to replace yet another sensor. I'm not getting a great feeling on my new vehicle and the dealership acts like "well we're giving you a rental for free". No, i have to pay for the gas back and forth to your shop and normally don't drive far. I had a 2016 Ford Escape with no problems that i sold to get this and only had 23,000 miles on it. I'm almost at 1,000 miles already on the new one just by driving it back and forth. I think this car is a lemon unfortunatly and i love the car.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Sorry to see you are having issues with your new vehicle. A warning like that should store a trouble code. I'm guessing that the code isn't on any of the invoices?

Peter

2022 brand new ford Explorer limited and for 3 weeks straight i have had to take my car into the dealership 45 minutes away and get a rental (for free).
Same light keeps coming on "malfunction indicator lamp" and they replaced the sending unit and one sensor so far. Back into the shop today 3rd time :( with the same problem. Ford called them and told them to replace yet another sensor. I'm not getting a great feeling on my new vehicle and the dealership acts like "well we're giving you a rental for free". No, i have to pay for the gas back and forth to your shop and normally don't drive far. I had a 2016 Ford Escape with no problems that i sold to get this and only had 23,000 miles on it. I'm almost at 1,000 miles already on the new one just by driving it back and forth. I think this car is a lemon unfortunatly and i love the car.
My Limited was becoming a hangar queen. The ACM failed multiple times, the transmission was overhauled at 14K. My ST, on the other hand, is inspiring much greater confidence. Plus, it's a blast to drive. :D :cool:

Back