"Check Fuel Fill Inlet" light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Check Fuel Fill Inlet" light

hdjoe88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT FWD
Can anyone tell me why this indicator would be coming on? Everything looks OK.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a fault associated with the OBD III mandated vapor recovery system self test. In other cars it indicates that the gas cap is loose or off keeping the fuel vapor recovery system test to complete. You may have a leak associated with the flap that seals the fuel filler neck.

When you start your vehicle the fuel vapor recovery system is pressurized by a small pump and any measured leak down (greater than 2 psi in less than 1 sec for example) that is greater that normal is indicative of a leak in the system. Most earlier cars would just flash the "Service Engine" light. Newer cars have a dedicated idiot light. One car I had flashed a picture of the gas cap on the screen.

This is a fault associated with the OBD III mandated vapor recovery system self test. In other cars it indicates that the gas cap is loose or off keeping the fuel vapor recovery system test to complete. You may have a leak associated with the flap that seals the fuel filler neck.

When you start your vehicle the fuel vapor recovery system is pressurized by a small pump and any measured leak down (greater than 2 psi in less than 1 sec for example) that is greater that normal is indicative of a leak in the system. Most earlier cars would just flash the "Service Engine" light. Newer cars have a dedicated idiot light. One car I had flashed a picture of the gas cap on the screen.
Thank you for that post and info Dr Plastic. Wasn't aware of that self test procedure. Something to file away in the memory banks. :):thumbsup:

Peter

I wouldn't be surprised if it is spiders. Right now they're all over my yard. I'll have to check out the fuel fill vent for webs. Not right now though since we're under a tornado watch! :eek:

Back