Check Gage + Hard shift + Gear slippage at same time? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Gage + Hard shift + Gear slippage at same time?

ddarko

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Ok, I did a search and found a thread that sounded similar to my issue at first but the conversation turned into a discussion about thermostats:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119377

So, yesterday I was on my way to pick up a set of rotors and pads after work. On the way home my X started throwing the Check Gage light at me, seemingly at random. My transmission also seemed to be slipping in 2nd gear and was shifting hard. I found it odd that these should occur simultaneously.

Thing is, just prior to these issues I did two things that are related to these systems:

1. I realized I had forgotten to fuel up that morning so my Check Gage light came on and I was down to about 6 litres of fuel before rolling into the gas station. The Check Gage light turned off after filling up as it should.

2. On my way to fill up I was sitting in rush hour traffic so I turned overdrive off (which I almost never do).

None of what I did is extraordinary of course but it is out of routine for me so I started wondering if there could be a correlation. Or perhaps just coincidence.

Today, it seems the gear slippage occurs when I am travelling at speed or accelerating/decelerating rapidly. Low speed gear shifts are gentler. The Check Gage light seems to come on during the hard shifts and turns off after a few moments. It also turns on sporadically.

Fyi, I do have one dash light out for the e-brake but it has been out for some time and the Check Gage light has never turned on because of this. Other gauges *seem* to be operating normally.

Anyone with similar experience and hopefully some advice? Many thanks in advance.

All your dummy gauges check out, right?

Is your truck revving really high during a shift?

They seem to be working properly but I haven't checked their connections. Worked on the X until 3am last night so I've been too lazy to go back out and check. I also noticed last night that I'm getting some type of fluid leaking down into the front passenger wheel well. Hopefully it's just wiper fluid but I'll take a look tomorrow. Oh yea, my CEL came on the day after I posted this :(

The truck occasionally revs high like it's slipping but most of the time it just shifts hard.

Working again?

Hmm! So I finished working on my brakes today but the last rotor on the driver's side rear refused to come off! It took a buddy and I a couple hours
to finally pull it off. Turns out the parking brake wouldn't let go of the rotor, probably due to bad calibration and lots of rust, so I removed it entirely.

Anyway, I just took her for a 30 min test drive and everything seemed fine! No hard shifts, slippage or Check Gage light. I'm guessing that the stuck E-brake was causing the rear wheel to lose speed too quickly between shifts resulting in what felt like a harsh gear change and probably degraded fuel economy. If this is the case it's a big relief because I was dreading the inevitable transmission service. Will have to see how she behaves in the coming days but for now I'm happy :)

Back