'CHECK HEADLIGHT SYSTEM' warning on Dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'CHECK HEADLIGHT SYSTEM' warning on Dash

Ceblue96

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo,ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Platinum
Hi I’m a lady with no car knowledge. Plz help. I have a warning that keeps popping up on my dash that reads “check headlamp system see manual” first thing I did was just was it told me to- checked the manual. Literally says “take to dealership” I checkEd my head lights as well- they were working just fine. UNTIL recently, the driver side head light wasn’t. I got home and when I pulled in, i noticed that it was in fact working after not working? So... I I took it to the dealership because well.. it told me too. In the days leading up to my service appt. it worked and it didn’t and it went back and fourth like that. Of course both my headlights were working and no warnings were displayed on my dash so they probably thought I was crazy. They checked it and said They reprogrammed something, retested it and it cleared? I went home, the next day when I started my car there it is again on the dash and the driver side headlight not working.

Attachments

• 903AC544-0CD8-4165-BAC1-A0099C1359BE.jpeg
    903AC544-0CD8-4165-BAC1-A0099C1359BE.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 539

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need to head back to the dealer. show them your picture. even if the headlight checks out, it is an intermittent problem then and they will be forced to do something.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did the service department make note of any kind of 'Trouble Code' on the paperwork? I'm guessing that they checked for one?

Peter

Did the service department make note of any kind of 'Trouble Code' on the paperwork? I'm guessing that they checked for one?

Peter
481D33BA-8924-4026-AD7D-0B23D1169BE4.jpeg

Thank you.
Apparently reprogramming the Headlight Control Module (HCM) did not permanently fix the issue. Perhaps it needs to be replaced.

Peter

Thank you.
Apparently reprogramming the Headlight Control Module (HCM) did not permanently fix the issue. Perhaps it needs to be replaced.

Peter
Please let me know what you found out. I am having the exact same problem. They replaced the control module and it worked for a week and then the warning came the dash and the next day the drivers side headlight went out again. Dealer does not know what eh problem is. Is this a platinum trim that your having issues with?

Please let me know what you found out. I am having the exact same problem. They replaced the control module and it worked for a week and then the warning came the dash and the next day the drivers side headlight went out again. Dealer does not know what eh problem is. Is this a platinum trim that your having issues with?
I did not have the problem. I was replying to Ceblue96 and yes, he has the Platinum trim as indicated in his margin profile. ;)

Peter

I had the problem with my 2020 Platinum and it took several weeks for the dealer to get replacement lights. That was last November so they may have parts now.

If you Don't mind, what did they think was causing the problem. Your issue is exactly the same as mine and the techs seem puzzled. I also have had issues with the rear defrost, drivers side mirror defrost and heated driver side seat. All didn't work. They fixed the seat but are also still stumped on the mirror defrost. They even replaced the back glass which didn't solve the issue. You having any of those issues at all? Just looking to see if they maybe connected issues. Thank you for your time. I'm just a bit frustrated with it all really.

Hi I’m a lady with no car knowledge. Plz help. I have a warning that keeps popping up on my dash that reads “check headlamp system see manual” first thing I did was just was it told me to- checked the manual. Literally says “take to dealership” I checkEd my head lights as well- they were working just fine. UNTIL recently, the driver side head light wasn’t. I got home and when I pulled in, i noticed that it was in fact working after not working? So... I I took it to the dealership because well.. it told me too. In the days leading up to my service appt. it worked and it didn’t and it went back and fourth like that. Of course both my headlights were working and no warnings were displayed on my dash so they probably thought I was crazy. They checked it and said They reprogrammed something, retested it and it cleared? I went home, the next day when I started my car there it is again on the dash and the driver side headlight not working.
This is so crazy! So I took my Platinum Explorer to my dealership last Monday 8/8. I had warnings on my dashboard stating "4WD Fault Service Required", "Pre-Collison Alert System not available" and something else. So they looked at it for over a week and told me a sensor needed to be replaced and they did so. I had my vehicle back for two hours yesterday evening and received this same message on my dashboard now. It seems my headlights and fog lamps are working just fine. It continues to illuminate on my dash even after clearing it by hitting ok. I am so beyond frustrated. They seem to fix one thing and it causes another thing to go out. I am sick of paying for a vehicle that I constantly have in the shop. Anyone else seen the warnings that I explained having prior to the shop just having my vehicle?

The dash warnings likely were an indication of a faulty wheel/axle speed sensor and that is probably what they replaced. So is that warning you are still getting? If your headlamps and foglamps are working I'm not sure why you posted in this thread.
BTW, there is a thread on the initial issue you mentioned. 2020 ST Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac

Peter

The dash warnings likely were an indication of a faulty wheel/axle speed sensor and that is probably what they replaced. So is that warning you are still getting? If your headlamps and foglamps are working I'm not sure why you posted in this thread.
BTW, there is a thread on the initial issue you mentioned. 2020 ST Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac

Peter
Well Peter- I posted to this thread because I read another person commented on similar problems, especially regarding this headlight warning and indeed her headlights and fog lights were working just fine as well...but she took it in and they put it on the computer and ended up replacing something. I was asking since I just had my vehicle in the shop for related warnings (not this specific one) if this one could be due to whatever they just did or replaced in my vehicle. I apologize that my question to this forum confused you because I posted it.

No problem. It just wasn't clear that "this same message" pertained to the Check Headlight System rather than the message you mentioned earlier in the post which you have since posted in the thread I mentioned. Thanks.

Peter

mine is doing this too... and has started "flashing brights" at other cars. awesome

mine is doing this too... and has started "flashing brights"at other cars. awesome
I'm guessing you have the 'auto high beams'? Is the flashing a consistent issue? Mine will do it occasionally after an oncoming car has passed and there is another following it some distance away.

Peter

I’m having the same issue as well with my ford Explorer 2021 platinum trim

I’m having the same issue as well with my ford Explorer 2021 platinum trim
The member you quoted was last seen here a year ago so may no longer be following this thread. Have you visted your dealership to have this checked out? Please keep us in the loop. Thank you.

Peter

mine is doing this too... and has started "flashing brights" at other cars. awesome
Any update on your issue?

Peter

The member you quoted was last seen here a year ago so may no longer be following this thread. Have you visted your dealership to have this checked out? Please keep us in the loop. Thank you.

Peter
Yes like three times they just changed my central module because both lights went out and now only my passenger side light is off . 1000 down the hole

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2020 explorer platinum, the headlight warning pops up for me too. At first just intermittently, now every time I start. A few times I have had the regular beams not turn on, but when I wait a few minutes and restart the car they seem to work just fine. High beams and fog lights are consistently working fine. No condensation or anything visibly wrong with the headlights. One mechanic told me my CV joints might need replacing, it is stretching the wires or something. But they would not replace them, they mostly just replaced tires. Last time I took to the dealership they ended up keeping it for over 6 months for 3 various other wiring and electric problems. (I went at 3 months to pick it up while waiting for some parts, since I really needed my car, but in the meantime, they had caused a giant crack across the entire passenger window while they had it, making it actually unsafe to drive...so they then took 3 more months to replace that as well.) I am now out of warranty anyway, but would never go back to that awful dealership. I am not sure what to do about the warning light, because the car seems to be working fine. And between all the various warnings (rear camera, et al.) in the 2020 platinum I would never have a car to drive if I brought it in for each one.

Back