• Register Today It's free!

Check Oil light

N7XME

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 LTD
I just changed my oil about 2 weeks ago and now I am getting the "check oil" light. I have no leaks and the dipstick shows full. What is causing the light to come on? Maybe time to replace a sensor? If so where is it and how hard would it be to replace? Or should I just drop the oil pan and give everything a good cleaning?

Oil Pressure. There are 2 oil pressure sensors, one for the guage and one for the light. I'm not sure about the light, but the guage is a dummy guage that as long as the pressure is within a certain range it will always read the same. There are mods on here that can turn this guage into an working guage. It could be the oil pressure is at the low end of the range causing the light to come on, but the guage still reads fine.

Or it could just be the sensor.

I have a real gauge and not the dummy one. It reads good pressure and moves as it should. I guess I should add that this seems to happen everytime I change my oil. I change the oil and then 2-3 weeks later the 'check oil' light comes on. I check the dipstick and watch the gauge for the next 2 months until the next oil change. Guess its time for some seafoam and a pan drop.

On the side of the oil pan there is a float switch, not a pressure switch, that detects when you are about one quart down. I would inspect the wire that goes to it for a bad connection.

Back