Check Transmission/Service Engine soon warnings after towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Transmission/Service Engine soon warnings after towing

lawrencee11

Reaction score
City, State
Winston Salem NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
Hey guys, I have a 2004 V6 X with the 3.73 gears. I just got done towing an 8x5 trailer about 15 miles, partly on the interstate. Before I got to where I was going the message center said "Check Transmission" and the O/D Off light started flashing. I reset the flashing at the next stoplight and then picked up a pool table, weighs about 250 pounds so the two guys I had with me each weigh as much or more. Well i got almost home just fine but then the check transmission message came up again and the service engine soon light is on. I didnt notice any overheating or anything like that and just looked all the fluids over. I am due for an oil change which I will be doing this coming weekend. Any ideas on what this could be or how serious of an issue it is? Ive towed the trailer before with about the same weight and minus one other guy with no problem at all. Ive got 109xxx miles and as far as I know it is the original transmission. Any help is appreciated.

if you can, get an obd scanner and pull the code. thatll tell you what it is pretty easy

Back