• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Check your Radiator Fan!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Kamel

Reaction score
City, State
Orange Park, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L
Not sure the importance here... if there are cracks, what are the dangers? I've never been too concerned about mine, if it explodes one day I'll replace the fan (and radiator if need-be lol)

atx-iroc

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4.0 2wd
While youre checking your fan check your fan clutch, they can still cool an engine after they go bad but it'll over heat when you turn on the a/c.

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Plastic Cooling Fan Cracking

Ford had a cracking problem on fans beginning about 1989 (in Mustangs w/5.0L eng.), the cracks appeared at the wide portion of the hub visible where the blades "sprout" out of it. They were known to come apart, possibly damaging the HOOD as well as the radiator or wiring.

The "fix" was a new and different type of plastic, which was used in all replacement parts inventories in early '90s.

Unfortunately, I do not know whether the newer plastic parts were identifiable in some was, to determine whether YOUR vehicle had been retrofitted. imp

iteotwawki

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4X4
Not sure the importance here... if there are cracks, what are the dangers? I've never been too concerned about mine, if it explodes one day I'll replace the fan (and radiator if need-be lol)

Mine had cracks in it that showed up fairly quickly, considering I had replaced it within 12 months of it failing. I was getting on the interstate and considering it was an uphill ramp I had my foot in it. At about 50 MPH the fan disintegrated. It took out the fan shroud and made it undriveable. Luckily, no damage to the radiator.

bullinerfamily

Reaction score
City, State
Murray,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt 4dr
I agree, I replaced mu cracked fan about 3 years ago, then radiator went out a few months ago and fan was cracked like crazy again.

R&T Babich

Reaction score
City, State
Thousand Oaks, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 & '93 XLT 4DR
Here's some info on fans I have, all have well over 60k miles.

F17A-8600-EA, Canada, 10 blade, 3 1/4" blade (lots of cracks)
F37A-8600-DA, Canada, 9 blade, 4" blade (lots of cracks)
F37A-8600-EA, USA, 9 blade, 3"-4 1/2" blade smooth curve to tip (couple of small cracks)
F37A-8600-FA, USA, 10 blade, 3 1/4" blade (one small crack, same shape as F17A)

An aftermarket fan that came on one of our Explorers has 9 blades and sits fully inside the fan shroud.
All the Ford fans extend past the shroud an inch or so.

paulcomi

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer 2WD
I have deep cracks in my original plastic one in my 1994 explore. If I use a metal replacement fan do I need to use the clutch or can I go without it?

OneofMany

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia Mountains- Talullah Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 expl 4x4
throw the stock fan away and install an electric.

zman1995

Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT Explorer
Yea my fan was like that, it was on the list to be repaired.......until my dad decided to drive it with a bad heater core and it over heated and blew a head gasket

Karpov

Reaction score
City, State
Finland so my english is bad :D
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 4x4 '93
Sorry that i ask here but i dont wanna do new topic all the time.

Is it normal that original fan and clutch will engage just before start in every conditions? There is now -27 celcius and was little bit silly that fan was blowing like summer heat.

FR-425

Used to be a road here.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
Yes, Karpov it is normal.

The fan clutch has Oil in it, so when it is cold the oil is thick enough to turn the fan.

If it running all the time due to extreme cold you may need to put a "winter front" on.

Winter Front = Partially cover the grill to limit the air flow.

You know like the big trucks do.

Karpov

Reaction score
City, State
Finland so my english is bad :D
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 4x4 '93
Okay thanks! That is still silly that fan blows.

Cardboard in front will do effect i think. Never used it on american cars.

shamal

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 4x4 Explorer Stock
Thanks for the heads up, mine was cracked replaced it and put in a new water pump, original still in there !

Mike451

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance,Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Read somewhere and in my experience verified that huge radial cracks in these fans are ok. I replaced a fan with cracks at 60k miles like a good boy. Noticed the new one had cracks about 10k later. Took pictures. That fan now has 110k miles and looks about the same.

peter683

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I replaced my original fan yeas ago as it was cracking badly.. the replacement lasted a couple of years and I noticed a crack in it today..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

FirstExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Flower Mound, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4WD
All that plastic in the whole radiator system; I have replaced my radiator 3 times because of it. I am on my third fan.
1st Gen
140,000 miles