Check your Radiator Fan!!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check your Radiator Fan!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure the importance here... if there are cracks, what are the dangers? I've never been too concerned about mine, if it explodes one day I'll replace the fan (and radiator if need-be lol)

While youre checking your fan check your fan clutch, they can still cool an engine after they go bad but it'll over heat when you turn on the a/c.

Plastic Cooling Fan Cracking

Ford had a cracking problem on fans beginning about 1989 (in Mustangs w/5.0L eng.), the cracks appeared at the wide portion of the hub visible where the blades "sprout" out of it. They were known to come apart, possibly damaging the HOOD as well as the radiator or wiring.

The "fix" was a new and different type of plastic, which was used in all replacement parts inventories in early '90s.

Unfortunately, I do not know whether the newer plastic parts were identifiable in some was, to determine whether YOUR vehicle had been retrofitted. imp

Not sure the importance here... if there are cracks, what are the dangers? I've never been too concerned about mine, if it explodes one day I'll replace the fan (and radiator if need-be lol)

Mine had cracks in it that showed up fairly quickly, considering I had replaced it within 12 months of it failing. I was getting on the interstate and considering it was an uphill ramp I had my foot in it. At about 50 MPH the fan disintegrated. It took out the fan shroud and made it undriveable. Luckily, no damage to the radiator.

I agree, I replaced mu cracked fan about 3 years ago, then radiator went out a few months ago and fan was cracked like crazy again.

Here's some info on fans I have, all have well over 60k miles.

F17A-8600-EA, Canada, 10 blade, 3 1/4" blade (lots of cracks)
F37A-8600-DA, Canada, 9 blade, 4" blade (lots of cracks)
F37A-8600-EA, USA, 9 blade, 3"-4 1/2" blade smooth curve to tip (couple of small cracks)
F37A-8600-FA, USA, 10 blade, 3 1/4" blade (one small crack, same shape as F17A)

An aftermarket fan that came on one of our Explorers has 9 blades and sits fully inside the fan shroud.
All the Ford fans extend past the shroud an inch or so.

I have deep cracks in my original plastic one in my 1994 explore. If I use a metal replacement fan do I need to use the clutch or can I go without it?

throw the stock fan away and install an electric.

Yea my fan was like that, it was on the list to be repaired.......until my dad decided to drive it with a bad heater core and it over heated and blew a head gasket

Sorry that i ask here but i dont wanna do new topic all the time.

Is it normal that original fan and clutch will engage just before start in every conditions? There is now -27 celcius and was little bit silly that fan was blowing like summer heat.

Yes, Karpov it is normal.

The fan clutch has Oil in it, so when it is cold the oil is thick enough to turn the fan.

If it running all the time due to extreme cold you may need to put a "winter front" on.

Winter Front = Partially cover the grill to limit the air flow.

You know like the big trucks do.

Okay thanks! That is still silly that fan blows.

Cardboard in front will do effect i think. Never used it on american cars.

Thanks for the heads up, mine was cracked replaced it and put in a new water pump, original still in there !

Read somewhere and in my experience verified that huge radial cracks in these fans are ok. I replaced a fan with cracks at 60k miles like a good boy. Noticed the new one had cracks about 10k later. Took pictures. That fan now has 110k miles and looks about the same.

I replaced my original fan yeas ago as it was cracking badly.. the replacement lasted a couple of years and I noticed a crack in it today..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All that plastic in the whole radiator system; I have replaced my radiator 3 times because of it. I am on my third fan.
1st Gen
140,000 miles

Back