Check your rear axle vent tube- (And ARS) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check your rear axle vent tube- (And ARS)

bobinyelm

Reaction score
City, State
Olympia, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Explorer Ltd AWD
I've been looking over my new-to-me 2000 Explorer Ltd V-8 AWD to see what, if anything it may need.

While under the rear checking my ARS air suspension system, I found a loose runner hose attached to the rear cross member that the spare tire nests into, but loose on the other end.

Looking further, I saw that the axle vent located on the top of the left axle tube just inboard of the leaf spring was not connected to anything.

Constant flexing as the axle moved up/down had broken the tubing off at the top of the nipple, which I'm sure is probably typical of older Explorers. I cut the 1/2" length of rubber tubing off the nipple and pushed the loose end back over it.

While under there, I also checked the ARS system by blocking the rear wheels, setting the E-brake, and with the engine running in Park, unhooked the lower end of the ride-height sensor midway in the right axle tube, and wedged it on the top of the arm (simulating a compressed rear suspension). The pump started, raised the suspension about an inch or so, the pump stopped, and the shocks stayed extended (showing no leaks). I then replaced the sensor on its "ball" mount, and observes the solenoid click, and watched as the shocks deflated to normal ride height. Eureka! The system works after all these 16 years!

BTW, most of us won't ever drive through axle-deep water in their Explorers, but if you do, and the tubing is disconnected/broken, the hot axle will cool in the deep water and literally suck in water through the vent nipple as the air inside the tube contracts, creating a vacuum to cause so.

Constant flexing as the axle moved up/down had broken the tubing off at the top of the nipple, which I'm sure is probably typical of older Explorers. I cut the 1/2" length of rubber tubing off the nipple and pushed the loose end back over it.

Good advice. I was swapping out my spare, or the spare tire lift, and noticed the rubber hose connected to nothing. I also just cut some off, and slipped it back on. I replaced mine with a new piece from my local Napa. I figured that since it was old, it would just eventually break off again. I think I put on a stainless hose clamp just so it wouldn't slip off.

Back