Checked transmission fluid level, cant believe what I found. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Checked transmission fluid level, cant believe what I found.

2006GrayXLT

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
I ran the Explorer around till the transmission got to operating temputure. I parked it on a flat driveway. I pulled the torx plug and to my surprise it gushed out a quart or two of fluid. I ran it through the gears and checked it in neutral. I really thought it was going to be low on fluid if anything not over filled. What did I do wrong here? I can't fill it back up because its already full?? How can I tell by driving it that the transmission is low on fluid? Any help would be great! Thank you so much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was the engine running when you unscrewed the torx plug ?

it should be running when checking the level.

It does not seam to be shifting any different. Would low fluid cause it to slip? Or what?

I just let my 2010 mountaineer idle for 15 minutes. When I check there is a drip/spurts. If I check after driving 5-10 miles and check i will get a stream of fluid. I believe to check the temperature should be about 120 - 140 degrees. Operating temp would be between 180-200 I believe which will show a higher level.

A lot of fluid came out. I am wondering if it was filled cold and never re checked

Good chance of that. Let it idle for 15 min and feel the pan. It should feel warm not hot. Recheck and it should just drip or spit fluid. As the fluid reaches operating temp the fluid level will increase. Sounds to me the trans was way over filled.

Back