Checking and Adjust Trans Fluid Level 5R55S | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Checking and Adjust Trans Fluid Level 5R55S

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
This is the how to guide, follow this procedure and you can rest assured your fluid level in your trans is at the right level as Ford has specified. This is the same procedure I use on every Explorer that comes in the shop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that plug on the side of the pan or on the bottom?

The bottom

Okay, so there must be a stand-pipe inside the pan that controls the level of fluid left in the pan. Now I understand. Thanks for posting the vid!:salute:

Okay, so there must be a stand-pipe inside the pan that controls the level of fluid left in the pan. Now I understand. Thanks for posting the vid!:salute:

Yes see my solenoid pack replacement video on my youtube channel for this trans and you will see what it looks like on the inside of the pan.

Thanks for posting the video. When I rebuilt my tranny I deliberately overfilled by a quart or so because it's much easier than messing with the suction gun. But this is not as difficult as people say. It really is a good way to deal with the fill level, and prevents the average guy from over or underfilling. You would be surprised how often people over fill their engine or tranny, which is probably why Ford did this.

Thanks for posting the video. When I rebuilt my tranny I deliberately overfilled by a quart or so because it's much easier than messing with the suction gun. But this is not as difficult as people say. It really is a good way to deal with the fill level, and prevents the average guy from over or underfilling. You would be surprised how often people over fill their engine or tranny, which is probably why Ford did this.

Yeah when you rebuild you can deliberately overfill from the speed sensor hole, but for others that are just doing a solenoid pack or filter this mothod is for them. Yeah a suction gun is a pain, that's why I am glad I have my trans flush machines to fill them for me.

5r55nfill1.JPG

Back