Checking ATF on my 55R5S - Overfilled - Concerns | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Checking ATF on my 55R5S - Overfilled - Concerns

Harpua216

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
I recently purchased an 04 Mountaineer 4.0 in decent condition, 130K on her and the usual suspects (sways, bearings etc) no biggie. On the ride home i noticed something with the trans but paid no attention comparing it to my smooth as butter 4 on my 99 5.0.

While on one of the first rides i gave her the gears a bit
and stressed her on some hills to see what gives. When i got home there was about a 1/8 of a cup of trans fluid in my driveway. Hmmm

Soo. My initial thought was from juding the people i bought
it from and knowing its state origin (city driving). I was figuring maybe they just put in the wrong ATF. Maybe a shot of lubegard, check the level and pray to the gods.

When i finally got around to it tonight, got it to about 85 on degrees on forscan i started down there. I cracked it and it GUSHED!! When all was said and done there was 2.5 quarts (maybe 3 if you count my spillage).

I have been really hoping that the leak was from the vent tube coming through the bell housing. I am starting to think so but wanted to get some thoughts from everyone. Can too much fluid give you noticable shifting irregularities to the above average explorer driver?

Needless to say, i didnt put lubegard or any ATF etc in there. I need to drop the pan, the fluid was smelly and getting dark. Lets see what happens.

Grabbing food on a short run, 1 to 3 feel different...better maybe.. faster

Would love to hear thoughts
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I loaded my transmission with fluid, it overflowed at 9 quarts and dropped 2.5 quarts during the drain plug exercise. This says your excess fluid would make sense if the previous idiots just added fluid until it overflowed.

I've seen it written many times that over-filling will cause shift problems because of foam, but I've never been stupid enough to over-fill a transmission and drive it that way, so I can't testify.

Good luck with your fluid change, and remember, Mercon is incredibly slippery. Expect to drop a quart bottle and end up wearing at least half a pint.:D

When I loaded my transmission with fluid, it overflowed at 9 quarts and dropped 2.5 quarts during the drain plug exercise. This says your excess fluid would make sense if the previous idiots just added fluid until it overflowed.

I've seen it written many times that over-filling will cause shift problems because of foam, but I've never been stupid enough to over-fill a transmission and drive it that way, so I can't testify.

Good luck with your fluid change, and remember, Mercon is incredibly slippery. Expect to drop a quart bottle and end up wearing at least half a pint.:D

you should see the tiny catastrophic path i left just checking it! I can only imagine. I did this in the front driveway too. luckily my wife has mechanic in her veins or id be a deadman right now. she is used to it.

dropping the pan is for the back driveway..lol,, the one with no blacktop!

On the subject though - do you think total volume is about 16 qtd or so? being that when i read these things tonight it seams like people get no more than 3 qts of over flow.

Also - other than temp, and foam as you mentioned, would an incline at high RPMS push it out that vent? thanks man

My owners Manual says 12.7 quarts, max.
Incline which way?
Pointed downhill would send fluid to the front overflow hole. Pointed uphill won't.

it was both actually. but i thought the tube started in the back and wade its way to the front?

it was both actually. but i thought the tube started in the back and made its way to the front?
Not as far as I know. But think about it. If the car was angled uphill and it had an overflow tube attached at the rear, the front of the tube would be higher than if the car was level. You're not making sense.

Not as far as I know. But think about it. If the car was angled uphill and it had an overflow tube attached at the rear, the front of the tube would be higher than if the car was level. You're not making sense.

and as such the tube would fill, then on the downhill it continues its path through the tube and out of the bellhousing. that makes sense to me. i am not sure there is an overflow hole on my transmission, but please correct me if I am wrong. only a tube extending to a hole in the trans on top of the bellhousing i think..

looking good so far.. we will see the a soccer mom day does to it tomorrow. thanks

What did you figure out on the trans?

Back