checking out a 2008 Eddie Bauer 4x4 Edition, couple questions.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

checking out a 2008 Eddie Bauer 4x4 Edition, couple questions....

resq302

Reaction score
City, State
Boonton, NJ (Morris County, NJ - 45 mins West of New York City)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer eddie bauer
Im checking out a 2008 Eddie Bauer Edition 4x4 for my wife to replace our 2005 Explorer Limited 4x4. The vehicle we are looking at has only 16,000 miles and is a one owner car per car fax. I checked it out today for a first time and the interior is in imaculate condition with the exterior only having minor scratches on the rear bumper and front bumper with a few scratches on the pass side. The vehicle has the 4.0 V-6 vs. the 4.6 V-8 in our current explorer. Basically it has all the options that our current Limited ed. has with the exception of having super low mileage and a third row seat and the smaller engine. Is there any known issues with this model year? Should there be anything I pay particular attention to? Other options that it has is power pedals, heated power leather seats, reverse sensing, heated mirrors, dual auto a/c, fold flat 3rd row seat, sirius sat. radio, moon roof, and eddie bauer luxury package. It is certified pre-owned car also if that makes a difference. Whatever that status gives to the car?

The car handled and drove like new so I don't think the mileage has been tampered with. Also, how much better would the V-6 be on gas vs the current V-8 we have now? Mileage difference between the current vehicle we have is huge. Wife has 117,000 miles on her 2005 so just the mileage savings alone would be worth it if the dealer could get down to our agreeable price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I know what to check when I go back for a second look on Monday.

thanks,

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2008 EB with the V8. I don't think the V6 will be better on gas at all than the V8. The V8 has a 6-speed tranny vs. 5-speed, although I don't know if your 2005 has a 6-speed, plus you don't have to drive it like you stole it to get going. I had a '99 with the V6 and my '08 definitely gets better mileage (although I know the '08 V6 has 210hp vs. the '99 with 160). But anyway, I'm sure you'll love it if you get it. It rides great and the creature comforts are great, especially Sync if it has it. I would take it for a test drive and listen for front-end noise at high speeds, the wheel bearing seem to go often on these things. But with that mileage, I'm sure it's fine. BTW, I must live 5 minutes from you, right by the boonton reservoir LOL

Ha ha. Yup! I grew up right down the road from the NJ Firemans home and am on the Boonton Fire Dept. I moved up to West Milford a couple years ago but my grandmother still lives in Boonton and her house overlooks the Jersey City Reservoir.

I did take it for a test drive and it rode like a new car (as any car with 16,000 miles should) but I honestly did not notice that much power difference between the 08 V-6 and the 05's V-8.

So basically, the 08 generation is roughly the same generation as my wifes 05? I know the exterior received minimal changes like the grille, headlights, tail lights, mirrors, etc and the interior got a total change for the better. The only downfall I saw is the painted plastic part for the arm rest that always got scratched up. One issue we did not have with my wifes 05 interior.

The v6's did not change much. The v8 from 08 is different animal than the old 2 valve 4.6. Also the tranny is the new 6 speed that was later moved into F-150 so the tranny alone is a big improvement. I have 2006 v8 EB, 130,000 miles and satill running strong. My neighbor accross the street with 2005 v6 had to shell out $ 3300 for a new tranny at about 100,000 miles. Like El Dugue said, the mpg is not much different, and the v6 have issues with the radiators, v8 have different issues, but the 08 is a good model year. I would look for v8.

No gas savings with 08 V6 vs 08 V8. The 6 speed tranny makes a difference.

Back