• Register Today It's free!

Checking Transmission Fluid

Barry Trobaugh

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Platinum
Okay, went out to check fluids, search for leaks and just stare at my 2018 Platinum 3.5EB. I even removed the beauty cover just to take a look. All was great, with a small exception that 36K mileage has put some debris in places. I blow that out another day.

To the point, I wanted to check the transmission fluid via the check cap beneath the airbox. I mean REALLY beneath the airbox. Does all that need to be removed to access the cap? Seems rather dumb to put the cap in good visual sight yet not reachable.

Thanks ahead.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will like to know also. Personally i have never checked mine. I assume Dealer did during maintenance but who knows.

You take the air box out to check the fluid level. The car does not need to be running however it should be checked at operating temperature.

There are two 8mm bolts at the front of the airbox and it comes out easy, I just did this on mine. I've been meaning to do a drain and fill but have been lazy. Before a 2hr drive decided to check it and it was roughly a quart low, and WOW did adding a quart make a difference especially in low speed downshifts which were occasionaly a bit clunky and smooth now.

I miss the tranny dip sticks. WHY FORD? WHY!?

I was adamant about doing the tried and true only been doing it for decades check fluid while its running thing. I still have a bit of a burn scar from the radiator hose a year later. No I didn't learn my session. I'm a 4.6L guy. This V6 stuff is for the birds. 😂

I miss the tranny dip sticks. WHY FORD? WHY!?

I was adamant about doing the tried and true only been doing it for decades check fluid while its running thing. I still have a bit of a burn scar from the radiator hose a year later. No I didn't learn my session. I'm a 4.6L guy. This V6 stuff is for the birds. 😂

Its just the nature of transverse setups with big V6 stuffed in. Some of these Audis and BMW don't even have a dipstick for the oil or transmission because its packaged so tightly into the engine bay. I believe since Ford is back to the RWD platform, the traditional dipstick is back.

Its just the nature of transverse setups with big V6 stuffed in. Some of these Audis and BMW don't even have a dipstick for the oil or transmission because its packaged so tightly into the engine bay. I believe since Ford is back to the RWD platform, the traditional dipstick is back.
According to the 2020 Manual, the automatic transmission does not have a dipstick.

Peter

Yes I realize, but there is actually room to put a bent tube into the fluid box thing. To me it would seem a locking cap and micro dipstick would be more expensive than a cheap o multi-decade old metal tube and rod that they have millions of.

Some things defy Logic. The front O2 is beautifully accessible. I replaced it without losing any knuckle skin. A first! But they make a critical drivetrain component difficult to get to. So odd. I'm almost a little surprised they put the oil fill on top of the engine, and not needing to pump it up and in from underneath.

Back