AA7KN

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston, Texas ( home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 4.0
Callsign
AA7KN
Have a 1996 explorer bone stock with V6 4.0l motor . I have been having transmission issues. Automatic transmission 4r55e. Shifting weird, in out of overdrive, not going into overdrive at all or waiting to shift at 55mph. I had the transmission. Rebuilt and it was better but just not right still. Well today, I cleaned the aircleaner, the MAF sensor, and the real nasty throttle body, and idle control valve. Man now she runs, drives and shifts like a new car. My question is, would a nasty air cleaner, MAFsensor, throttle body and IAC, cause shifting issues? Can it confuse the computer or tyranny? Let me know what you think . Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the computer is commanding one thing and the engine is Doug another yes it will cause funky shifting

Dirty mas sensor can cause funky drivability issues yes. A plugged airbox, yes
Think if your engine as an air pump
It needs fresh clean air and it must have an accurate reading of the air coming in (mas) and the air going out (02 sensors) or it cannot function correctly. The same computer controls the engine and trans… so as you have seen, yes tune up parts can affect drive ability.

Since transmission shifting is largely controlled by the tps, if the engine is responding poorly, it makes sense tps values would be out of expected range.

High tps output will try to force a downshift, or, even hold an upshift from occuring.

Ah you are right! It was probably the tps, thanks Jon for pointing that out!

Ah you are right! It was probably the tps, thanks Jon for pointing that out!
I was actually building on your explanation. Thank you!

If the computer is commanding one thing and the engine is Doug another yes it will cause funky shifting

Dirty mas sensor can cause funky drivability issues yes. A plugged airbox, yes
Think if your engine as an air pump
It needs fresh clean air and it must have an accurate reading of the air coming in (mas) and the air going out (02 sensors) or it cannot function correctly. The same computer controls the engine and trans… so as you have seen, yes tune up parts can affect drive ability.
Thanks for the rely, that is just what I was thinkig. I'm happy with te performance since I cleaned everything. I could NOT believe how nasty the throttle body and IAC was. Took an entire can of carb cleaner to clean them. Thas again.

If those are dirty the you may want to check out your air intake , if the filter is clean and sealed and the intake tube is sealed then The throttle body will stay clean

If you are getting dirt at the rv and iac then you are getting it in the engine

K&n type
Filters and cold air intakes are really bad at this, if over oiled or not sealed up = dirt ingestion

Agree. I have a reusable K&N filter, and I washd ND lightly oid it. It was very dirty. The throttle body was very nasty. It's been a few years sincI last cleaned it as well as the IAC module. But all is good now, runs great, shift ropperly now and seems to all bine. Thanks for thenput.

Back