Cherry Bomb?

white96x

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Cuc,Ca(home) SLO,Ca(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 E.B.
i was at work tonight, and a usual customer is heading to his explorer i believe it's an '02, it black, de-tagged, v-8, sitting on some 18" KMC's-but thats besides the point-i notice he has dual chrome tips coming out the back and when i asked him what kind of exhaust he had he replied "it's a cherry bomb" i guess i looked stunned b/c he asked if i had ever heard of it i replied "no"-he started it up and man it sounded really really good-i told him i had Flows and he said he had a decision between dual Flows or Cherry Bomb and thats what he chose-So the point of this thread (sorry so long) is "What the heck is Cherry Bomb exhaust?" He made it sound like a type of exhaust and not an actual company like Flowmaster or Borla? any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they're glass-packs!

mmmmmmm-that explains it thanks Section- i thought this thread would be sitting here for days before someone replied

Originally posted by section525
I think they're glass-packs!

I second that motion.

Oh well, I guess its ok to have glass packs if its a V8

Chris

Cherry bombs and Webber goes hand in hand from back in the days.

Yeah, cherry bombs are old school. I had many friends in high school who had Camaros and Mustangs with cherry bombs. They always sounded very loud.

yeah, cherry bombs are glass packs readily available in many sizes for about $20 each......

A Cherry Bomb/Glasspack is a "Straight through" muffler. It consists of a perforated tube, which is wrapped in fiberglass insulation, and then the whole thing is covered in fiberglass. They are about as free flowing as a straight pipe (since they are!) and as Jimabena74 said, they are very cheap.

They're not used much, since the sound deadaning isn't great, but if they're not too loud - then it might be cool to use em!

he probably isn't getting the performace he would have gotten out to the flowmasters though

ok, so let me get this straight-he is sacrificing power in exchange for a deep throaty roar to his exits? I mean it sounds great-very deep and throaty-i liked it, i don't understand why they're so cheap-it sounds more complicated than any 2-chamber Flowmaster?

after time the fiberglass can blow out, then it sounds like there is a pocet full of pennies in the exhuast.... loud and clangy! and you have to replace them....

I guess if you didn't have a passenger compartment over your muffler - a cherry bomb might be OK (as most cars have their mufflers under their trunk). But for the X, with the entire vehicle being a passenger compartment - it would be really loud, at least IMO. Heck, with my single RaVin at 2.5K - it's annoying as all heck (performance gains what??). I couldn't imagine a dual CB setup :(

Ry.

So glasspacks (in this case a Cherry Bomb) is louder then let's say dual 40 series flows, or even a one chamber?

Originally posted by white96x
So glasspacks (in this case a Cherry Bomb) is louder then let's say dual 40 series flows, or even a one chamber?
not really, sorta depends, Flows are loud and aggressive b/c of the chambers..thats what sets them apart sound wise and why they sound so different. The one chamber race muffler is insane, my friend had one chambers on his Cobra paired with an offroad h-pipe, that dohc 4.6 screamed, I mean it was f'n loud and would not only set off car alarms parked around it but it would set cars off that were rows away from it in a parking lot just by starting it up, forget about what happend when he got on the gas...probably made people in cars next to us **** their pants lol.

IMO glasspacks equal blahhhhhh....qoute from james t "sounds like a dying calf" although that qoute pertained to 6 cylinders they'll sound a little better on a V8 but no-where near a muffler setup from companies such as Flowmaster or Magnaflow or CGS ect..... I really don't know why people use them....if you or he thought that 4.6 Explorer sounded good with glasspacks...listen to another 4.6 Explorer or Mustang with Flows or really any other muffler and compare the sound;) .

I've heard plenty of cars from Broncos to Mustangs with glasspacks and they just sound like crap, especially after the packing wears and you sound like a "dying" ricer fart can going down the street.

Geez, I'm late as crap on this thread, but just to let you all know, there is an actual muffler out there called a Cherry Bomb.....the Vortex Cherry Bomb. Think maybe that's what he meant when he said Cherry Bomb?

Back