chevy HHR fan install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

chevy HHR fan install

You don't have to run a high dollar fan controller even if you do have a high amperage fan. Just don't use the fan controller to support the main current of the fan. Just use it as a switch.

yyea ill just keep it like i have it.its a 40amp relay so i should be good
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well bad news people,i had both radiators laying down and the auto trans one was siting higher even though its only about an inch thicker.so i pulled the fan off my manual radiator and mounted it to the auto one and put it in the truck and sure enough it wont fit!!it sits father out or something but when i had it mounted to the manual radiator there was about 2 inches so i figured just take one inch off for the other radiator and it should of fit!!so looks like this will only be a mod for manual trans or im sure you can trim down both sides and get it to clear but im not doing that since i have a manual trans radiator.

Is the hhr fan thin enough that you could fit it in the factory shroud if you cut away a bunch of the HHR shroud or it too wide to fit in the factory hole?

When we put the taurus fan in the f-150, we cut most of the taurus shroud away and centered the fan in the orig hole.

2630109562_83eb08aa34_b.jpg

~Mark

Is the hhr fan thin enough that you could fit it in the factory shroud if you cut away a bunch of the HHR shroud or it too wide to fit in the factory hole?

When we put the taurus fan in the f-150, we cut most of the taurus shroud away and centered the fan in the orig hole.

showthread.php

~Mark
i dont have the factory shroud anymore so i dont really know.you could probably get it to fit the way it is i looks like if you cut both sides off where it flush with the top and bottom that it would prob clear.i would post some pic but my damn phone got stolen last night so

after looking back over the 460 thread and looking at the fan there is a cover over the back of the motor that can be cut away and it looks like thats all you would have to take off.it just barley hit so you dont need much!!i also cut these tabs off because they were sitting on the radiator tubes and didnt want them to wear through,then i ran a piece of like door or window insulating tape down both side and sat the fan on that.here is a pic from the other thread
"So I did what any good gearhead does. I took a brand new part and started taking it apart. Upon close inspection I decided that the plastic area behind the motor could safely be removed. Removing this plastic (outlined in yellow) will give a net gain of 1/2". The back of the motor only sticks out 1/4" past the lip marked with a red arrow."

picture.php

picture.php

well did all the final install and tested everything with the truck off and all i got to say is wow this thing really SUCKS.it was suckn the leaves into the radiator that was blowing by from falling off my big as oak tree.i dont have my grill in yet but i bet you it will suck a piece of paper up against the grill.my old fan was a 3000cfm and this fan it easily twice as strong and it sucks from the whole radiator,given that the 3000cfm rating was probably way off for that fan this one i bet you is probably around that for sure!!!

I heard somewhere that a lot of aftermarket manufacturers totally over-rate their fans....kind of like the companies that make cheap amps. Yeah, their fan might move 2500 cfm when it's sitting there by itself, but you slap it up against a radiator and all of a sudden it's moving 1000 cfm.

I'd still be intersted in how many amps you measure on that thing when you get a chance....sounds like a good piece.

I heard somewhere that a lot of aftermarket manufacturers totally over-rate their fans....kind of like the companies that make cheap amps. Yeah, their fan might move 2500 cfm when it's sitting there by itself, but you slap it up against a radiator and all of a sudden it's moving 1000 cfm.

I'd still be intersted in how many amps you measure on that thing when you get a chance....sounds like a good piece.

well i had a 25 amp fuse in it and i flipped it on and off a couple time back to back trying to get it to blow it and it never did nor did the wires get hot or anything like that.we will see though when the truck is running and the battery is full charged.

Cool, yeah def try it when you get that beast up and running. Glad to hear it works really well.

So all you've got left is wrapping and installing the headers?

they are wrapped just got to seal them and rebake them.

well i ran the truck for about 15mins tonight just to check how everything sounded and to test the fan and it worked GREAT!!!it would hit about 190(its got a 185 probe in it now) then the fan would kick on and no lie it ran for about 15 to 30 sec and it dropped to 170ish and kicked right off.i still need to test it under load, but from what i can tell that fan is barley going to run.i haven't put the amp meter on it yet because it was dark out but ive got a 25amp fuse in it and it hasn't blown or gotten hot at all.as of now i love this fan setup and would tell anyone to do it,its cheap and seems to cool very fast!!!

Good Job on the mod-- Just wondering what the fan cost?

Good Job on the mod-- Just wondering what the fan cost?

it was in the first post "o and the cost was $58 to my door from Rockauto(with our discount code also)"

it was in the first post "o and the cost was $58 to my door from Rockauto(with our discount code also)"
OOps sorry but thatnks for posting it again!

:shifty_ey..... explorerforum members get a discount at rockauto !?!

What year did you use as your reference on RockAuto? I never paid attention to the years they built the HHR. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back