• Register Today It's free!

Chevy v8 swap has it been done???

Senik

Reaction score
City, State
Flordia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 and a98 explorer
Got a98 awd 5.0 wanting to swap to 2wd witha a sbc and a 400th trans ...mainly I have a questions on headers and mounts if any one may know what mite work???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't ask Ford people how to put a Chevy in a ford, compleatly disrespectful.

I'll admit...I am a Chevy guy at heart and my play car is a 70 Camaro. I also own a 5.0 GT Mustang for my wife's daily driver and I DD a 96 EB 4x4 Ex. For the amount of work/money to convert to a SBC it would make more sense to upgrade the 5.0 motor. The aftermarket for the Ford 5.0 motor is huge and the power you can make out of the 5.0 is respectable.

I'll admit...I am a Chevy guy at heart and my play car is a 70 Camaro. I also own a 5.0 GT Mustang for my wife's daily driver and I DD a 96 EB 4x4 Ex. For the amount of work/money to convert to a SBC it would make more sense to upgrade the 5.0 motor. The aftermarket for the Ford 5.0 motor is huge and the power you can make out of the 5.0 is respectable.

I almost agree. At least I want to very much

However the 302 block is not very strong above 500 hp

In the long run, I think an LS engine could be swapped in for less money than an equally built 347, while being much faster.

You'd need to go 2wd to get any kind of long tube header in there. Even if you did a well built Ford engine you would have to fabricate headers.

I am very impressed by the pushrod chevrolet engines of late for this kind of thing. Ford DOHC engines are just way to big to fit into a 2nd generation explorer. A 351 ford engine could work, but you'd still spend a lot more money than going with a GM engine in the first place.

Sorry, just being real guys.

I almost agree. At least I want to very much

However the 302 block is not very strong above 500 hp

In the long run, I think an LS engine could be swapped in for less money than an equally built 347, while being much faster.

You'd need to go 2wd to get any kind of long tube header in there. Even if you did a well built Ford engine you would have to fabricate headers.

I am very impressed by the pushrod chevrolet engines of late for this kind of thing. Ford DOHC engines are just way to big to fit into a 2nd generation explorer. A 351 ford engine could work, but you'd still spend a lot more money than going with a GM engine in the first place.

Sorry, just being real guys.
LS based, i kinda agree with ya... but the op said "sbc, TH400" so im thinking he means the older mullet motor (which is pretty much apples and apples with the 5.0 family)

Anyhoo, there was a guy that had one in a 1st gen but i cant remember his screen name. Norcal area, it was a dual sport type desert truck, 4x4... i think he was buddies with section525. That's all i got.

Well I own three of these ... One already got a motified 302 in it already.. So the sbc I have is a 388 stroker with a 100 shot foger ... And I realy don't care ford or chevy I own and race both ... Just have them both the truck and motor sittin here

Headers are for sure going to be custom, the mounts may have to be as well. It can be done, and the discussion has already begun, but for me Ford is the only way, so I am hot rodding a 302 for my build. I am interested to see how you do this, so be sure to post some pictures if you do.

There was a member on here that put a 350 sbc into a lift 2wd 1st gen Sport Trac, there's videos of it on youtube and I believe a build thread on here somewhere.

Oh I defiantly will post pics... See my idea is to make it a street sleeper... I have all the 2wd front suspencion , it's got a nice 8.8 disk with 3.73 gears and a locker.my motor is a 73 4 bolt 350 high nickle block .060 over bore with a 400 crank 202 Vette heads full ported and milled .020 to 68 cc ,480 lift 290 deration comp cam,100 shot foger plate, and a 400th shift kit and a 2500stall converter...

I have a 97 5.0 with cobra rockers,trick flow intake, re mapd computer, headers, 90 mm throttle body, cold air in take , lighting mad air flow sensor, egr deleted, no cats,sims boxes,shift kited 4r70w, awd t case,and 4.10 gears front and rear . And I'm kinda borde with it.

Back