Chicago PIU/Explorer Mod Center Tour | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chicago PIU/Explorer Mod Center Tour

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51
I recently had the opportunity to do a tour of the Chicago Mod Center (TDM) they are located a block away from CAP and are responsible for all the aftermarket upfitting on the PIUs. They also do all the retail Explorer DVD system installs and recently started doing all the Timberline tow hooks and underbody skid plate installations. It was very interesting to watch their installation of the A pillar spotlight and the ballistic panels. Here are some photos to show the complexity of the process.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ballistic Panel Install

IMG_4195.jpeg IMG_4198.jpeg IMG_4197.jpeg IMG_4196.jpeg

A Pillar Spotlight Install with drill jig that uses special bit that goes through the Boron steel

IMG_4181.jpeg IMG_4190.jpeg IMG_4189.jpeg IMG_4188.jpeg IMG_4187.jpeg IMG_4182.jpeg IMG_4183.jpeg IMG_4184.jpeg IMG_4185.jpeg IMG_4186.jpeg

So these are some of jerks that break interior trim pieces. Then send it out to the customer all rigged up with silicone and a couple of tabs/trim clips remaining.

So these are some of jerks that break interior trim pieces. Then send it out to the customer all rigged up with silicone and a couple of tabs/trim clips remaining.
Some. Others actually take pride in their work and don't break crap.

That doesn't pass the QC check at the Mod center. Each station has QC review and then a second QC review at the end. Each job is tied to a specific employee there is no anonymity. If you have a VIN they know who installed it.

Get a hold of your local Ford Government sales Rep, give them the VIN they will follow up for you.

Or since your in Texas head over to the big Expo, talk to the Engineers.

Fleet Patrol Conference & Expo (FPCX)

August 15-18, 2022

Austin, Texas

According to his profile, he doesn't even own an Explorer.

Peter

The 17 posts seem to be experienced in them though
I'm not questioning that. I was replying to Sgt1411's post about providing a VIN etc.

Peter

I joined the forum because I upfit our City’s PIU’s. I like the forum just for the knowledge and just to see what others are up too. I’ve been a long time lurker lol.

It’s much easier to just replace the trim parts (mainly C-Pillar, D-Pillar) than go through our rep, or the dealer. We tried in the past and the dealer blamed us. So it was difficult to prove it was done at the mod center and not me removing during the upfit. So now we just keep clips, and trim parts in stock.

This is the same for our 20+ PIU’s.

I joined the forum because I upfit our City’s PIU’s. I like the forum just for the knowledge and just to see what others are up too. I’ve been a long time lurker lol.

It’s much easier to just replace the trim parts (mainly C-Pillar, D-Pillar) than go through our rep, or the dealer. We tried in the past and the dealer blamed us. So it was difficult to prove it was done at the mod center and not me removing during the upfit. So now we just keep clips, and trim parts in stock.

This is the same for our 20+ PIU’s.

Makes sense but from my experience in the upfit/outfitting business when the dealer receives the vehicles from Ford they are PDI'd at the dealer and all damage/issues are recorded for warranty claim. Then same happens again upon delivery to the City/State/Municipality garage. This prevents the blame game, the vehicle isn't considered received until it's inspected and given the pass/fail. Essentially your Agency does not accept damaged vehicles or QC issues.

I theard the PIU was on recall hold and eco boosts were on hold too, were they building any when you were there? That spotlight install tool is cool, do you recall if they installed vinyl floors there or on the line

I theard the PIU was on recall hold and eco boosts were on hold too, were they building any when you were there? That spotlight install tool is cool, do you recall if they installed vinyl floors there or on the line

Vinyl floors are install on the main production line, the PIU's show up at Mod Center with flooring installed.

There were no issues with the 3.0L EcoBoost that we were told about, only issues currently that we were updated on are the Bronco 2.7L EcoBoost issues.

Production is normal other then supply chain issues.

^^^ thanks my friends dept been waiting for the eco boost long time now, he was told they were on hold. I'm excited to see it whenever it actually gets there

^^^ thanks my friends dept been waiting for the eco boost long time now, he was told they were on hold. I'm excited to see it whenever it actually gets there

I made some inquiries at the CAP and there is some truth to what you heard. There are units built holding for PIU specialty AM/FM Radios, the entire units are unable to be sourced from supplier right now, something that's typically too complex for a dealer to install after delivery. Bad news is likely none can be delivered to CAP until September

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I made some inquiries at the CAP and there is some truth to what you heard. There are units built holding for PIU specialty AM/FM Radios, the entire units are unable to be sourced from supplier right now, something that's typically too complex for a dealer to install after delivery. Bad news is likely none can be delivered to CAP until September
thanks for the info, I know they've been waiting for months, theyre getting some of the cars with the 12 in screen and using a remote laptop, I'm interested to see how that works

Back