CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!! | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!!

Hello Everyone!
It's Chief here, Aka: Tim. I started with this pitifull excuse of a motor called a V6 and even more of a dissapointment This POS A4LD tranny! This will all be a nightmare that ended real soon:D

last shot of v6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got home and found my much needed piece, for further progress, The AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAdvanced!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAdapter!!!!!!!

I was very impressed with the packaging and quality of these pieces in this kit. Everything was individually packed then packed with paper in a larger box. The shipping wieght was about 43 lbs.Everything looks great. The kit comes with ....

1) A new shift rail.
2) A new shifter mechanism
3) A new input shaft
4) A new output shaft
5) A new extension housing with a new shift
6) A new Extension (the adapter) To go from the
new extension housing adapter piece to the
Transfer case.
7) A bearing for the adapter
8) misclaneous pieces... C clips, bolts, washers,
nuts.
9) A gasket for the two adapters to mate together
10) A new 5th gear, or Overdrive gear with a
slightly taller ratio so that us big tire fellows
will still be able to use the gear :)
12) A New 3rd gear ( not sure why) maybe just
because the new output shaft goes through it
or something. I dont know if it is a different
ratio.
13) A direction booklet
14) and of course an advanced adapter booklet.

I think that is all.... Here is the pick already!!

Attachments

• advanced adapter.jpg
    advanced adapter.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,731

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Another look shows everything...

Attachments

• advanced adapter(2).jpg
    advanced adapter(2).jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,702

Parts look great. Now I expect some progress by the end of the weekend!!!:D

well, I just got through working on my chrome pedals. They are gonna be a *****. I got everything ready to put them in except a couple bolts. I had to free up the hanger assembly in order to slide the clutch pedal in lateraly. I only have two bolts left but they are gonna be the worst. The gas pedal is in though and it looks awesome. When I get them in I will get some pictures.

NOTAJP....
Tell me about it... I am going to try to get the tranny put together and get my whole front end prepped for paint. That is my goal for the weekend. Oh yeah and also to get my short water pump and timing chain cover on the motor. That is a pain also because you have to remove the oil pan and harmonic balancer to slide the timing cover on/off.

... Anyway, I have my work cut out for me but I should be able to get it all done this weekend. Then i'll paint it over this week, and next weekend My uncle is coming down to help me put it all in!!!

Wow, i wish i was at home instead of off at school so i could come check that thing out.

A little too much lift for my tastes but i definately like the 5.0. Sweet job so far man i look forward to tackling this same project in about 2 years when i graduate. Keep posting pics!

What transfer are you putting back in? Will the stocker hold up to that V8???

I am going to use the stock Borg Warner.It should hold up fairly well. It is a chain driven unit and it is stronger than most give it credit for. I am probably going to install dual Atlas T-cases later. But that is a whole 'nother project.

signing on for updates... awesome job!!! cant wait to see it finished.

Originally posted by Agent_51
Wow, i wish i was at home instead of off at school so i could come check that thing out A little too much lift for my tastes but i definately like the 5.0.

i was wondering the same thing about the lift.. truck looks awesome but why so much? is it a rock crawler? mud bogger? or pavement queen? (P.S. Do not tell me its a pavement queen or else :rolleyes: )

P.S. Do not tell me its a pavement queen or else
- or else what? If that was my truck it would sure be a pavement queen!!!! If i spent my time building a truck that nice i wouldnt want to mess anything up beating it off road. Thats what junkers are for...... and why not that big? Its something different and awesome.

After I did read through all the posts he did say that he cant wait to get it finished and get it in the mud.... so he must wheel it. I wouldnt- thats for sure.

Damn Chief that's amazing!

I just wish I could do half as good a job on my Ex :eek:

Thanks alot everyone. I am working hard to get it finished. I cant wait to drive it again with its new found power.

And........ NO its not a pavement queen:mad:

The first thing I am gonna do when It is done is hit the dirt. I cant wait to get some air and climb some rocks. :D

Anyway, I was hoping to get the engine compartment painted over last week and drop the engine and tranny in this weekend. My freind the painter, who I am getting the paint from, got hurt last week and wasnt there. So I am going to get the paint hopefully on monday. Finish installing the AA adapter to my tranny and paint the engine compartment this week and next weekend it all goes back in. Thats the plan anyway:)
Wish me luck. I'll keep posting progress through the week.

so how's it coming?

truly amazing, dude.

thats some serious skill you've got. you are the envy of a lot of us. lets hear it for the guys that are real do it yourselfers. i cant wait to see some more pictures

Ok,
Here is the latest....
My next hurdle was that my tranny turned out NOT to be a "worlds" T-5 Tranny. So I am gonna have to sell it or trade it and get a "Worlds" tranny for the adapter to work. So for now I am just using the Tranny case for measuring and 'mocking up' purposes.

I managed to get the engine compartment painted finally... A freind came over and helped.....

Attachments

• action shot from the front.jpg
    action shot from the front.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,403

here is another.........

Attachments

• action from the side.jpg
    action from the side.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,416

here is what it looked like before........

Attachments

• fan blower and evaporator are out.jpg
    fan blower and evaporator are out.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,408

here it is now....

Attachments

• front of firewall.jpg
    front of firewall.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,421

here is another

Attachments

• drivers side inside.jpg
    drivers side inside.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,439

one more. This made all the difference in the world. I would have killed myself afterwards if i didnt do this.........

Attachments

• front view a little above.jpg
    front view a little above.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,584

Back