Child car seat question on 99 sport. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Child car seat question on 99 sport.

biggiesize

Reaction score
City, State
Martinsville,Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 sport
My wife and I are expecting our first child in February so all of this "child restraint" stuff is new to me.I was looking at the rear seatbelts in my sport and I am a little concerned about putting a baby back there.My first concern is that the rear seat base on the sport will raise slightly before the lock catches.I guess im just looking for some advice on anyone that has successfully put a car seat in the back of a sport and had no issues.Thanks for the advice in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

don't know about the sport, but i can tell you what i've recently learned with my grandson's car seat.

1. get a really good car seat (check on-line customer reviews)
2. for an infant, the seat should face to the rear
3. in my state, the seat must be placed behind the driver's seat
4. follow the car seat manufactures instructions for mounting.

if you're concerned about the seat lifting before the latch catches, see if the latch can be adjusted or modified to eliminate the play.

don't know about the sport, but i can tell you what i've recently learned with my grandson's car seat.

1. get a really good car seat (check on-line customer reviews)
2. for an infant, the seat should face to the rear
3. in my state, the seat must be placed behind the driver's seat
4. follow the car seat manufactures instructions for mounting.

if you're concerned about the seat lifting before the latch catches, see if the latch can be adjusted or modified to eliminate the play.

What do you do if you have twins?

Behind driver's seat? Never heard of that. With only one seat back there, we put it in the middle.

The seat base of the Sport's seats will rotate?

It sounds like you're not doing something right. You want to put the infant carrier base down, pull the seat belt out ALL THE WAY and route it through the base appropriately. Retract the seatbelt and notice how it clicks and you can't pull it out again (until you feed it all the way back in) and make sure to strap the base in tight. Put your knee on the base to compress the seat cushion. If you get it right, the carrier base shouldn't move.

Or swing by a fire station. They will usually install it for you, and show you how to do it, for free.

Behind driver's seat? Never heard of that. With only one seat back there, we put it in the middle.

this was news to me too. i assume it's so the driver doesn't get distracted by the baby and try to fool with it while driving, but whatever the rational, it's the law in GA. i guess if you have twins (or a pickup with no back seat) you just do what you gotta do.

In the second Gen sports there is no middle seatbelt and yes the seats will come up a few inches but from a guy who brought home two kids and raised one past carseats just put the seat in and i put a knee on it to push it down and just follow the instructions for routing the belt and pull it as tight as you can and use the clip that comes with the seat to hook the shoulder strap to the lap belt. Congrats on the baby.

Oh yea once you sinch the belt tight the seat bottom won't move

I have a child seat in my 4dr. so i dont know about the sport specifically but try rolling a towel up to compensate for the gap but also do what delexploder and put a knee down and pull as tight as you can. Once you get it installed you can take it to a local fire dept and they will inspect it for you to make sure it is installed correctly and safe for a child.

I always put a knee up on the car seat to keep my weight on it while I buckle it. Then, once I get off, the seat belt stretches to its locked position with the seat firmly in place.

If you have trouble, your local FD, PD, Hospital, WIC office, or Social Services office will all help you install them and teach you how to do so properly. Some car dealers will as well.

Congrats and good luck!

Also, I've never heard of putting it behind the driver... I've always been told it is best to keep an infant in the middle if possible, that way they have space between them in the event of a side impact. Oh well, my three fill up the back.

Back